Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Memorial weekend fun + truck running Better!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Question Memorial weekend fun + truck running Better!??

Well my Good friend is on RnR this week from a 6 month stint in Afghanistan.he just bought his first truck back (chevy c1500 with a 305 auto trans) he just wanted to show his truck off so we went cruising down the coast to oob lately my truck as not been running all to well due to a few things my ecc is still crap some ticking in the front cylinder and general lack of power when going up hills but i believe its mostly my ecc. me being a ford guy and him a Chevy guy we went to his uncles place in Saco hes right next to a large abandon parking lot and good time inured and i noticed after two passes and a quarter of a tank later my truck as not ticking as loud as it was its almost un detectable now and i have a much smoother ride all together i still don't have much pick up on hills but that's got to be my ecu. but what can the ticking be? just a lifter sticking a bit and the 0-60 stuff un stuck it? I lost by the way

sorry for the long read
thanks for any help and happy memorial day
Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the lifter. Have you changed the plug wire on that cylinder? My old wires ticked on number one also but if you moved it would stop.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM
lost my Car again...

i have changed all the wires. not the plug yet low on cash now used a full tank of gas with in 3 hours
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
No One

Could be a cracked plug also man. Pull it and check it.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 PM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by AuroraZero
Could be a cracked plug also man. Pull it and check it.
Will do thanks for the tip ill do it later today its to hot out here today 79 out side 98 inside second floor sucks!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
No One

86 here and last week it was 50. Freaken weather needs to straighten out I got work to do lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
lost my Car again...

lol yeah last night we had one hell of a lighting storm a tree caught fire down the road and there was a flash flood on the river before that it was 74 and sunny i was at the beach LOL damn weather. it keeps going like this im going to put ac in my truck like seans doing
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

There was a thread somewhere on here about the tensioner on some of the new trucks being bad, seems to be relativly few, maybe bad batch of tensioners got out or something, causing a ticking noise, think they mentioned top front is where its coming from.

They took it to Ford and got it fixed, is a known issue.

I did a quick search for tensioner, I wish it would just show the post the search words are mentioned in, not the who thread to look throuigh, but may need to look in buried threads to find the posts mentioning it.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
lost my Car again...

well thats not it my tentionor is bad so i replaced it with a dorman one i drove 2 months on it heard a slapping notice sure enough my belt was shredded on one side dorman sucks! 6 month warranty didn't last 2 i have my old one on the just squeals alot but still works good enough to get me there. the ticking is constant with both of them nothing changed when i swapped them out besides the ticking is coming from the first cylender so its either a bad plug or a stuck lifter i just need to check the plug out but its to damn hot out today
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
lost my Car again...

Ok so I replaced the plug today still ticking so i checked my distributer cab and the internals nothing wrong with that stuff. today a new thing happened while taking off from a stop it began to sputter i let off it was ok it did it twice while excelratting then when i was backing it in at my place it just died on me with a POP i opend the hood and my Power steering pump cover was blown off? what the hell is going on? everything is normal except when it sputters the volts drop down some but shoot right back up.

Quick Reply: Memorial weekend fun + truck running Better!??