Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

spark plugs and what they tell me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:28 PM
learning as I go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs and what they tell me?

ok, today I popped the hood and pulled 2 plugs 1 from each side of the engine and both were the back plug. My finding's were discouraging to me as when I checked them out I noticed that they were both wet with a oil and gas mixture from what my nose told me. This I'm sure isn't a good thing. Is this telling me my rings are shot, or something else? and I'm sure that this could be my reason for the old girl stalling on me, is she fouling out because of this?
what is this all mean?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

It's telling you to do a dry&wet compression test & check for spark on those two cylinders. Maybe pull yourself together, you don't want your truck to see you like this! Be strong! Tell her "Cash for Clunkers" is over and she's going to be just fine!..........maybe.

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-24-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
learning as I go

Originally Posted by ymeski56
It's telling you to do a dry&wet compression test & check for spark on those two cylinders. Maybe pull yourself together, you don't want your truck to see you like this! Be strong!
roflmao! ok pulling myself together, and not letting her see me like this. I'll be strong. now to find the tools to get-r-done. remeber I'm a newbie to doing my own truck work,
Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

just do the tune up 1st and she how she runs...if the tune up has been long over due and she had been neglected it may just need that...

Quite a few years ago my dad told me about an Astro van that some people wanted to get rid of...it was a rather nice van supposedly with a bad engine...it was an 85' with a carbed V6 engine...I didnt go with him but he decided to buy it for the whopping price of $50.00...this was 10 years ago...

he got it running and drove it home and it ran like it had a bad motor..it shook and rattled and ran terrible...they told him they took it to the dealer and were told it had a dead cylinder and needed a new engine...

I took it apart and checked it out and found it had a dead wire and a dead plug...complete tune up cost 80.00 then and it ran like a top...pops drove that van till everything fell off...literally...did very little to it in 10 year and it rusted in spots and the exhaust fell off...

not bad...10 years for less than 200.00 and I just scrapped it out last week...motor and tranny still ran fine
Old 10-24-2009, 06:39 PM

That's better! They make a cheap inline spark tester that you can tell from how it lights up how strong the spark is. I used to use an allen wrench against the bock till I put in a 60K coil (never more!). It could be as simple as bad plug wires. After all, the two rear are the longest. you could try switching wires w/ a cylinder you know is firing. The two rear plugs are prime candidates for accidentally cracking their insulators when installing because their awkward to get to & that's enough to put em out of business. also hitting them against the port opening & closing their gap. Start w/ the simple stuff before thinkin the worst. As for your truck, some respond to threats (like "I'm gonna use you for donor parts if you keep this s**t up!"), some don't. I guess it depends on the individual truck.

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-24-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by gypsum
ok, today I popped the hood and pulled 2 plugs 1 from each side of the engine and both were the back plug. My finding's were discouraging to me as when I checked them out I noticed that they were both wet with a oil and gas mixture from what my nose told me. This I'm sure isn't a good thing. Is this telling me my rings are shot, or something else? and I'm sure that this could be my reason for the old girl stalling on me, is she fouling out because of this?
what is this all mean?
You didn't mention what engine. Especially if it's injected or Carberated. That's especially important if it's Carb & the two rear cylinders are drowned. I thought it was interesting you decided to pull the two plugs that where the hardest to get to, first. Most people would probably started w/ some that were easier to get to. But if in fact it is Carbed, the two rear would be the correct first choice.

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-24-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM
learning as I go

That's better! They make a cheap inline spark tester that you can tell from how it lights up how strong the spark is. I used to use an allen wrench against the bock till I put in a 60K coil (never more!). It could be as simple as bad plug wires. After all, the two rear are the longest. you could try switching wires w/ a cylinder you know is firing. The two rear plugs are prime candidates for accidentally cracking their insulators when installing because their awkward to get to & that's enough to put em out of business. also hitting them against the port opening & closing their gap. Start w/ the simple stuff before thinkin the worst. As for your truck, some respond to threats (like "I'm gonna use you for donor parts if you keep this s**t up!"), some don't. I guess it depends on the individual truck.
roflmao! ok all funny stuff aside. I'm not going to use her for donor part's, lol. I was careful not to hit the plugs against anything while pulling them, the tower's looked to be fine and free of defects the wire do look old so I'm hoping the tune up will help. she don't run rough. and I'll look into the spark tester, thanks for the laugh again.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM
learning as I go

You didn't mention what engine. Especially if it's injected or Carberated. That's especially important if it's Carb & the two rear cylinders are drowned. I thought it was interesting you decided to pull the two plugs that where the hardest to get to, first. Most people would probably started w/ some that were easier to get to. But if in fact it is Carbed, the two rear would be the correct first choice.
The engine I belive to be fuel injected, I didnt see any air cleaner on top like you see on the old car's, it's a 302 5.0L and as far as pulling the back plugs, I remember along time ago someone doing that to check, what for I dont know, plus I wanted to see just how hard it would be to get to them. the driver side was alot easier then the passenger side, that was a mother but I got it out and back in and she still started. I was glad for that, as I'm learning as I go.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Definitely do the tune up and see how it runs after. If it runs a lot better then you can check the plugs again later to see if you get the same deposits.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 AM
built ford tough

**** i am scared to do my plugs

Quick Reply: spark plugs and what they tell me?