Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Radio Acc wire stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 PM
For the People

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radio Acc wire stopped working

Long story short, I shorted out my radio during a swap and now, a blown fuse later, have my new CD player in and running. The problem is, I have the always-on battery wire and accessory wire of the CD player both joined to the battery-on wire of the truck. I bought a multimeter yesterday, and the acc wire doesn't give a signal at all (it should when the truck is on or in acc, right?). So the CD player works fine, just won't automatically shut off when I turn off the truck. My idea after some online research is to get a fuse tap (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107592774) and find a fuse that is on in the ACC position, and run a wire from there to the back of the radio so it shuts off properly. Any thoughts/suggestions or other ideas of how to run an acc wire? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You could do that relatively easy using the fuse taps. Or you could wire a switch. A good on wire to use for fuse taps would be the radio fuse itself, if it is still working. If not, try the cruise control wire. Even if you don't have cruise control, the metal contacts inside the fuse slot itself should still be present, making it even easier to use a fuse tap.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ugh! Find the blown fuse and replace it. That's all that could be wrong. Stay away from those damn fuse taps, they are trouble. Fix what you broke and you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:00 AM
For the People

Originally Posted by burnthelight88
You could do that relatively easy using the fuse taps. Or you could wire a switch. A good on wire to use for fuse taps would be the radio fuse itself, if it is still working. If not, try the cruise control wire. Even if you don't have cruise control, the metal contacts inside the fuse slot itself should still be present, making it even easier to use a fuse tap.
Would a tap on the radio fuse only work in the acc/run position (not constant power)?

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
ugh! Find the blown fuse and replace it. That's all that could be wrong. Stay away from those damn fuse taps, they are trouble. Fix what you broke and you'll be fine.
I've already replaced the radio fuse, and I'd imagine they're on the same one, but I'll double check unless you know for sure they're separate fuses?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by OtherWeckta
Would a tap on the radio fuse only work in the acc/run position (not constant power)?

I've already replaced the radio fuse, and I'd imagine they're on the same one, but I'll double check unless you know for sure they're separate fuses?
Typically, the "radio" fuse is for the constant. The radio ignition is a separate fuse for sure. Check em' all, I bet you'll find another one.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:59 PM
For the People

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
Typically, the "radio" fuse is for the constant. The radio ignition is a separate fuse for sure. Check em' all, I bet you'll find another one.
I know this is a few days old, but i resolved it and like to post success stories (however simple)... There was another blown fuse, sure enough it was for the radio acc wire (and a couple other things I don't use, so I didn't know it was broken). New fuse, rewired the head unit correctly, and it works like a dream. No fuse tap, all done correctly Now I just need to figure out why the previous owner wired the radio ground to the metal on the fuse panel (which I'm not using, the factory ground works fine)
Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 PM
For the People

btw thanks for the advice hackers
Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by OtherWeckta
btw thanks for the advice hackers
no probs Bob! That's what forums are all about! Good job!

*now don't cha feel better knowing it's not "rigged" up and using the factory provisions? I know I would.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had the cont. power wire in mine not work, somewhere under the dash it came undone or something, so no power from it and the radio wouldn't work, i just ran a wire over to a hot fuse on the fuse block, i dont think that will work for you tho
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM
and the winner is...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what's funny I was installing a remote start/keyless today and the two acc wires on the ignition hardness both only powered the heat/air but wouldn't turn on radio it's the first time I've seen that, but when you put the key in and pull back to ACC the radio turns on.

Quick Reply: Radio Acc wire stopped working