Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Personal 4.9L towing experience w/T-18

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Personal 4.9L towing experience w/T-18

I've used this forum for a while but only when I was looking for an answer to a mechanical problem.

I searched plenty of other forums in order to understand the towing limitations of my 1989 F150. Although many of the threads were useful, I still had questions and wasn't 100% satisfied. This is the story of my 1800 mile trip which is intended to help that individual using google to find their 4.9L towing answers.

Journey: Omaha--Fayetteville NC (detour through Ky took Hwy 40 over the smokey mtns through Asheville NC) about 1800 miles with detours and getting lost.

Specifications
1989 F150 Xlt Lariat 4.9L
Trans: Code F // Borg Warner T-18
(has non-synchro granny low)
Gears: 3.08 open
Mileage: 126k of being a farm truck turned daily commuter
Extra's installed : Reese receiver hitch (don't trust step bumper hitch)

Truck weight w/junk in the bed= 4850 lbs
Hauled 91 Camaro on dolly= 3900lbs

(I think I exceeded my factory limits)

Alright, so I was initially startled to find out that my 89 f150 was only rated to haul 2k lbs. Needless to say, I was pissed to have invested money in a truck that couldn't haul anything. After trying to sell the truck, I realized that I was pretty much stuck with either finding a way to lose the f150 or risk blowing up a $700 dollar vehicle. I chose to risk it....

The Camaro weighed approx 3300-3400 and the car-tow dolly took up the rest of the 500lbs. I used patience and 2x6's to get the 'maro on the dolly and then pulled the driveshaft (don't forget to buy a plug for the transmission's tailshaft if an automatic).

I have read about the dangers of burning up the clutch and how it's pretty much the weak link. My clutch was replaced roughly 6k miles ago along with nearly everything else that is attributed to the act of shifting outside of the transmission itself. In short, the clutch wasn't on it's last leg. Also worth mentioning is how much a help it was to have a granny low. I understand the risk that the Mazda 5-speeder's must undertake.

Traveling:

For my first time towing...it wasn't that bad. Swing a bit wider and drive with a bit more caution. Increase space between you and the car ahead and keep speed manageable. I cruised mainly around 60-65mph with some bursts up to 72mph (I had to pass some slow pokes). With the granny low, I was able to get the truck moving and set up for the 2nd gear and shift into the power band with shifts at 3k-3.2k rpm's. Word of caution, tow dollies like to swing (at least mine did) and it was a bit scary going through the interchanges outside of St. Louis or were there was a change of elevation and curves...Just take things slow. Next time I haul, I will be getting a trailer.

Coolant temp: No issues, never went past the "R" in the "NORMAL" range even when going through grades around Asheville.

Gears!

The 3.08's did fine on the flat highways and rolling hills. I will be upgrading to a limited Slip and at least 3.55's when I PCS (Permanent Change of Station) again. I had loss of acceleration at WOT only on grades associated with mountain passes near Appalachian mtn's. When I lost too much speed, I did what the Semi's did, Put on your flashers, shift into 3rd from fourth, and take it slow in the right-hand lane. Having some 3.55's - 4.11's would have helped here.

T-18 transmission

Yes I had the granny low and it worked amazingly. My final gear is 1:1 so I didn't have to worry about staying out of overdrive like the Mazda 5-speeds have need to pay attention to (not that that is hard or anything). Overall, the T-18 did what it was supposed to, no issues here and it still shifts fine.

4.9L Straight Six

I was impressed to see what I got out of a 170 hp engine. I was a bit slow but I wasn't in a race so it's not like it mattered. I averaged 12-15 mpg as 33 gallons got me over 400miles between fill-up's.

Like I mentioned before, this post is meant for the person searching to find answers to their 4.9l towing questions. The testimony about the 3.08's and the T-18 will serve to only supplement the wealth of knowledge found inside this forum.

Final thought: If you're going to haul heavy loads frequently...get a truck that is rated for it, or upgrade your current truck to handle it. I know that I will either buy another truck rated for what I will be towing or upgrade my current vehicle for the next time.

Any questions, gripes, comments...post it and I'll give my best answer.

Matt
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

i think an 89 can haul more then 2k lbs, unless you mean in the bed. my 96 could haul 6k without TO MUCH trouble. dont think the weight rating would have tripped in that time, but i guess anything is possible. then again, mine has the 3.55 gears.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f150cam
i think an 89 can haul more then 2k lbs, unless you mean in the bed. my 96 could haul 6k without TO MUCH trouble. dont think the weight rating would have tripped in that time, but i guess anything is possible. then again, mine has the 3.55 gears.
That's true it can pull more than that. Factory set the tow rating at 2k to mitigate drivers from prematurely burning up their clutches (high revving into the power band while slowly releasing the clutch). I spent a month searching for other experiences where a 4.9L and a manual transmission was involved.

You could get two F150's with a 4.9L but one with an auto transmission, the other with a manual (same gears) and the manual tow rating would be way lower than the auto's... that is unless it was a ZF transmission.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

ah yea, never understood why people who tow rather have a manual for that reason lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I tow more than that, and carry too. Manual, no clutch problems. Manual is the s**t. Automatics are s**t.
The following 2 users liked this post by Just call me Sean:
'95flareside (12-10-2012), sylver91 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I tow more than that, and carry too. Manual, no clutch problems. Manual is the s**t. Automatics are s**t.
D**n Straight Sean!! All of my trucks are manuals, I do not even bother looking at automatics, they are called slush boxes for a reason lol
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Automatics might be able to take more but I have turned down a full 6 in suspension lift 1996 f150 with the 351 4x4 reg cab short bed just because it was an auto he wanted my 98 Toyota Camry for it.... that should say something about how i feel about automatic trucks!

I have a 94 4.9l 5 speed with open 3.08 gears i have flat towed a fellow f150forum members f150 behind mine with ease. i know its nothing close to what your doing but no issues with my truck or transmission with towing anything so far. and yes that was with the step tow bumper they can take more then you think.

Yeah I know not the smartest thing to do but i got Chocks under the front wheels and its chained to the back hoe along with some support on the frame I broke a leaf and couldn't get a lift so i borrowed my neighbors back hoe just put the bucket under the rear bumper and lifted it up.

(DO NOT ATTEMPT AT HOME)
Attached Thumbnails Personal 4.9L towing experience w/T-18-truck-spring-004.jpg  

Last edited by TheCollector; 12-10-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Chocks not chalks

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 84 I had with a 4.9 and t-18 was a hauling beast, never could tell a difference when I hooked up a 16ft trailer with a honda civic and bed of junk.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Chocks, not chalks.
The following users liked this post:
TheCollector (12-10-2012)

Quick Reply: Personal 4.9L towing experience w/T-18