Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Not Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Charging?

I've done a search on here and it didn't really answer my question.

I have a 96 F-150 5.0 When it's running it shows really low voltage on the gauge (11-12v) and when I stick my multimeter on the battery it shows 11.98v.. I thought it was the alternater so I stuck a new one on with no change? is there anything else on the 96 model that can go wrong?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Sure, there's plenty. Bad battery cables or terminals, bad fusible link, bad wiring, loose connections at the solenoid. Check a few of these things out. And welcome to the site!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
mmmm.....

you bought a new altenator w/o knowing that was it? dang..

and just call me sean basically said what i would have.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah I know I should know better... I am smarter than that... No really I am I'll check those tomorrow, I've built one truck out of two and had the joys of swapping everything out. Plus adding a bunch of extra cool stuff!! I build alot of race TTB front ends so i'll try to contribute my suspension expertise when we need it on here! My whole life seems to revolve around 80-96 F-150's and Broncos.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:29 AM
We'd do it

Ok BajaDale, if you are a suspension expert answer me a question, have you ever lifted one of these trucks by relocating the front spring pockets? I was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I don't want to weaken anything but was looking for a low buck lift. I know springs are cheap but this is cheaper.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Ok BajaDale, if you are a suspension expert answer me a question, have you ever lifted one of these trucks by relocating the front spring pockets? I was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I don't want to weaken anything but was looking for a low buck lift. I know springs are cheap but this is cheaper.

That would be ALOT of work!! The spring towers are riveted on and to get at all the rivets you have to take out your springs and bumpstops off never mind the countless hours of screwing around grinding and drilling. Not worth it! Save up and get some springs. ProComp has a 1.5" lift coil and they run around $125 a pair. Do it right and you'll save yourself alot of headaches in the end!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:24 PM
We'd do it

Well I was thinking more of a 3" lift and that way I could use stock springs and shocks. It's only a 2wd so it doesn't benefit me much except for looks and bigger tire fitment. I figured it would be a bit of work, I was going to fab up some I-beam and radius arm drop brackets.

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Well I was thinking more of a 3" lift and that way I could use stock springs and shocks. It's only a 2wd so it doesn't benefit me much except for looks and bigger tire fitment. I figured it would be a bit of work, I was going to fab up some I-beam and radius arm drop brackets.

Camburg builds a nice bent beam kit for your truck and you don't have to drop down your brackets. http://www.camburg.com/ They supply 6" lift springs in the kit, we bought one of these kits for our shop truck and haven't installed it yet. Very cool stuff! I love 2wd trucks that have a lift and prerunner bumpers!!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM
We'd do it

That looks pretty cool, but there is no way I can afford that. If I had lots of money it would already be in the mail.

Quick Reply: Not Charging?