Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New to me 94 f150 with some problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 94 f150 with some problems

Just got this truck resently. It's doing the weirdest thing. After start up when first heading out if putting it into drive, it takes off fine until about 25 mph then it feels like it jump straight to high gear and has no acceleration, can let off the throttle and push back down and it doesn't kick down. Now the weird part. If I pull it all the way down to first for the initial take off, then progressively shift it through second up to drive it's fine. Can then stop and take off with it in drive with out any issues and it will be fine all day, until I turn the truck off.

Second thing is some of the dash lights don't work. The only light that comes on when I turn on the key is battery symbal. No brake light or check engine light. Pulled the bulbs and they are not blown. Shouldn't these light come on when the key is turned on. The lights also don't illuminate for the fuel door or 4x4.

And the volt meter is not coming up, but I'm guessing that is either the gauge or the signal wire. Haven't picked up a book yet.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 AM

First check All your fuses. That done take a volt meter or OBD1 scanner and check for codes. If there are no codes I would look towards the trans linkage. Good luck
Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM

thanks, I have a code reader but it keep saying that it was unresponsive, it started raining so I quick messing with it. I need to get a better book. I have a haynes but it's junk. I'd like to get a factory service manual, if anyone knows where I can get one. A better schematic would be great for my other electrical problems.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 PM

look on ebay for a service manual, i've seen several on there and there is one guy who sells them for every year on a CD for about 40 bucks.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your Throttle positioning Sensor may be bad... i was haveing shifting problems in my 95 (5.0L E4OD)
Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 PM

I ordered a factory manual last night. Throttle position sensor is what I'm beginning to think as well, the only thing that is throwing me off is after shifting up manually the first time I have no more problems.

Hopefully the book can lead me in the right direction on the service engine light. I have a feeling some things have been unplugged or bypassed.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Tried a new TPS, didn't fix anything. Something is happening when I turn off the key that starts the process over. I'm thinking it has to be electrical, not sure where to start.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what transmission do u have?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM

it's an E40D. Tried retrieving codes with my code reader but it says unresponsive. Gonna have to try and do it manually.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Well I feel like and idiot. I've been all over this thing trying to figure it out. Took a step back and started over from the beginning and sure enough found a fuse that I some how missed the first time. Fuse fixed the shift problem, all my warning lights now work as well as my gauges.

Quick Reply: New to me 94 f150 with some problems