Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Manual Tranny removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Manual Tranny removal

hello all,
I have done a search but didn't get a lot of information on tranny removal that I need, therefore I am posting another with specifics. i have a 1989 F-150 Crue Cab, 302, 8 cyl, 5speed. I am in the process of removing the tranny to replace the slave cylinder and clutch assymbly. My problem is the drive shaft and the gear lever. Firstly, I have removed the circlips from the connection to the tranny of the driveshaft, but I am lost on how to disconnect it. As far as the gear lever, how do you remove it? I have loosed a bolt on the lower end of he lever but it isn't doing anything. I thought that it may simply unscrew, but I don't want to force it if it doesn't. I tried to use AutoZone online repair manual like I usually do, but the site is having problems. Do anyone have any idea of how to get this thing out. All of the bolts are removed, including the cross member. Any help will do. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Autozone site is having problems. However, go to this link :http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8009e8e7.jsp
You Should be able to get to the guide. My bookmark works, but you can't get to it from the page. This should help out.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Drive shaft either has a slip yoke going into the trans, (will leak oil if this type) or it is secured with two U bolts. As to shift lever old, 70 and 80 vintage trucks, we removed the floor panel around the lever.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Thanks guys. The link works great and I bookmarked it and printed some pages while at it. It looks as though I am going to have to remove the shift lever as a complete assymbly which should be alright. The driveshaft is still a little confusing to me. I think that I can follow it though and will get back with you if anything is wrong.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM

O.K. I am back. Here is the problem. i don't have u-Bolts for the front part of the axle connected to the tranny. But there are U-bolts at the rear, but I am not working in that area. You mention a slip yoke, but have no idea what it is or how to remove it. The fron drive axle is connected with the "spider" only. DO I simply take a c-clamp and compress until it clears? If so, how will I re-connect it back? FInally, what is a Cardan Joint and would I have one?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You have to remove the whole driveshaft. Once you remove the rear section from the rear end and remove the center support bearing (if equipped) the yoke will slide out of the tranny. I doubt you have a cardan joint. It is two u-joints very close together with a short section of driveshaft, about 6-8 inches.

Last edited by Just call me Sean; 07-29-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM

That is what I was afraid of. I think that I may have taken on more than I can handle. You say that the yoke will "slip" out of the tranny, is it in there similar to the drive-axles of an automatic, where a crow bar is needed to pull it loose? Well, I will tackle it and let you know if anything goes wrong....again.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM

OK, I am back. I have the drive shaft off, actually it was fairly easy to remove. Now I have the cross member removed, all bolts off, the gear lever off. The transmission is in neutral. Is there a trick to getting the tranny to disengage from the engine? I don't want to vigorously shake the transmission loose, unless that is what I have to do. But I broke a transmission doing that before and don't want to do that again. I have the jack support underneath but can't get to come apart. I also know that it will be a problem when putting it back together, therefore could someone tell me the "tricks of the trade"?

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny removal