Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Injectors cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unhappy Injectors cleaning

What would i need but the injectors metal seals for cleaning injectors? Looks like i have to do it manually, so i need to know if i'll need some new gaskets or anything. Here's the full story, it might help someone may be... At first my truck was running idle perfectly, but had some power issues whie driving. So i measured fuel pressure and after that i replaced fuel filter and both pumps (only pump motors, not the whole thing). The were no changes generally, it still was running low on gas (code 122), but from time to time it ran better with front pump then with rear pump, or opposite. I don't know about what it could depend on, because i'm not good with truck psychology. So i desided to find and clean the tank switching system. Thanks to Just Call Me Sean it was located. There is a valve in each tank, operated by fuel pressure coming from the pump, opening the fuel back line. My guess was that valve (or both) was stuck or not opening completely. Today i've removed one of pumps again, and figured out that the valve can't be diassembled for cleaning. So since i was pretty low on options, i couldn't find anything better than using some HiGear fuel system cleaner. So now my fuel lines must be perfectly clean, but all the dirt from the system is at the injectors. The truck is still running for now, but i think it's not for long. It already sounds like there are some misfires, and it's getting only worse. So my next step is removing my injectors and applying some of carb cleaner to each one of them. Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appriciated.

Last edited by Fast Hampster; 08-17-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

To get to the injectors you will have to remove the upper intake manifold, so you will need the upper intake manifold gasket. The manifold is 2 piece but you don't need the lower gasket, just the upper. If you don't remove anything else from the manifold that requires a gasket, and you shouldn't, then you won't need any others. The fuel injectors each have a rubber o-ring to seal them, so you will need a set of 6 for those. You might need the fuel line disconnect tool, but maybe not if you just unbolt the rail and swing it out of the way. I'm not sure how well spraying the injectors with carb cleaner will clean them, but it's worth a shot. Some shops have an injector cleaning machine, the injectors are hooked up to it and are sprayed out with high pressure cleaners. You might want to look into this.

The whole disassembly and reassembly isn't too hard, with the exception of the EGR pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR, sometimes they get siezed. If the truck leaks any kind of oil at all, you might want to change the valve cover gasket as well, since it also requires the removal of the upper intake.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before disassembling the intake check the pressure regulator on the back of the fuel rail for proper function. This could lead to intermittent fuel problems.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM

Thank you for help. Fuel pressure regulator is working fine, at least what's left of idle RPMs increases with vacuum line off. Now i have everything disassembled, i'll start with cleaning and reassembling tomorrow. I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the fuel ramp even though i have fuel line disconnectlig tools. I also couldn't remove EGR pipe, so i had to disconnect EGR from the intake.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Alldatta states that the sender units in each tank have a pick up filter that can cause flow restriction especially when habitually operated at low fuel levels in tanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
Thank you for help. Fuel pressure regulator is working fine, at least what's left of idle RPMs increases with vacuum line off. Now i have everything disassembled, i'll start with cleaning and reassembling tomorrow. I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the fuel ramp even though i have fuel line disconnectlig tools. I also couldn't remove EGR pipe, so i had to disconnect EGR from the intake.
It's not enough that it shows psi ok at idle, it needs to show psi sustained w/ adiquate volume demanded under a load. A restriction can allow a good psi show w/o Load demand but craps out when psi is required in any volume. And a bad regulator can improperly devert pump psi to return to the tank.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 AM

Well i guess that if something changes with vacuum pipe off, regulator must be working. I can't say for sure anything about injectors because it was dark already when i finally got there. But i'm still thinking that applying a fuel system cleaner to a 15 y.o. truck was not good but necessary thing to do, and therefore i'm unable to take any further steps until i have my injectors cleaned.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Boy FH I don't envy you at all. Having what amounts to an orphan truck, and I was just looking at the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Roublle 1 Dollar = 24.5615 Roublles.and It is dropping pretty fast thanks to the Georgia thing. So ordering anything in is going to cost you way too much. You can get your injectors rebuilt here in the States for 20.00 dollars each. But with the postage and the exchange rate I don't know how you would do it.
http://www.perfectpowerusa.citymax.c...ge/2002517.htm
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 AM

It sounds like $120 for rebuilding and 200+ for shipping. Ultrasonic cleaning is available in here also, but i don't believe it. We have different fuel quality, and i guess that russian gas has vome unwanted unknown additives that make the cleaning process harder. I think my way is cheaper- it takes 3 cans of carb cleaner $3 worth each I'll post the results and may be some pics when i'll reassemble that.

Quick Reply: Injectors cleaning