Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How much did you pay in the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much did you pay in the shop?

I have an 87 F-150 standard cab 302. Had a few things that need to be done for inspection and I'm just wondering what you guys paid to have some if this done in the shop. I'd do it myself but not a lot of time.
-rear fuel tank replaced
-all can mounts replaced
-radius arm bushings
Old 09-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

You'll pay enough to move to an area that doesn't have all of this BS! Lol. All of this is stuff that you can do yourself! My '95 never saw a shop in the 15 years that I had it. I learned to do it myself. I have some mechanical experience, but I grew up in a body shop. Youtube is a great resource for much of this. Especially the rear fuel tank. No reason on earth that you cannot tackle the on your own.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor mounts? they, and the bushings/arm assembly, should be only an hours' labor each. What exactly is wrong with the fuel tank? If it has a leak, couldn't you merely remove it? I bought an '87 that had maybe two-decade-old gas in the rear tank and a bad selector solenoid module, so I pulled and discarded the whole thing. Tankless, the truck passes inspection yearly.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Gas tank will be fairly easy to do yourself (it'll also be one of the biggest costs if you have a shop do it just because it take some time to do it), order a pre-assembled tank/pump assembly from rockauto or amazon, drop the old one, install new with new tank straps, you may have to wire in a new pump connector depending on if the current pump is original or not but that is very simple too. It'll take a few hours but what you'll save on labor will pay for the new tank assembly.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '87 had bad gas or sludge in the rear tank when I bought it. I just use the front tank. It should be old enough that it doesn't need emissions, so don't worry about that.

Are you talking about the cab mounts? I would be more concerned about ball joints and tie rod ends.

Quick Reply: How much did you pay in the shop?