Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Help replace head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help replace head gasket

Okay so i've got my upper intake manifold off, valve cover off,
first question do i have to take the lower intake manifold off too?
Its a 1994 f150 5.0
i'm assuming i do have to take it off, next if i just loosen the rocker bolts a little and pivot them to take out the push rods and label them will i have to adjust the valves at all

heck i am a beginner tech. , infact i'm still going to school now (started about a month ago) so i'm hoping one of you experienced guys can help me out here

i have done a head gasket once before on a vw jetta and evrything came out fine this is just a hole different kind of motor

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Yes the lower has to come off. The rockers are torque down, no special adjustments.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Crate motor

so I went to take the lower intake off and the to bolts on the back closest to the firewall/bulkhead snapped off, so I got pissed put it back together and said forget it I'll run it till it dies then just drop a crate motor in it

when you buy a crate motor does it come with that or will i have to take that off my motor and put it on the new one
Old 09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

A crate motor is a longblock, you need your externals.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:37 PM

That's a pain, if you wanted to fix it, and there is any bolt left to get hold of, craftsman makes something that removes bolts, screws etc. I was reluctant at first, they sounded kind of gimmicky but they actually work as long as you push pretty good, they will bite down, even on the shoulder or threaded portion of what is left of a bolt. If you do keep going remember to soak them lifters in oil overnight!

Quick Reply: Help replace head gasket