Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

F150 GM power steering pump upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Default F150 GM power steering pump upgrade

I swapped on the GM power steering pump today. Got pretty tired of the Ford ones standard whine all the time. This came from a '92 E150.

The bracket is the same except the threaded holes for the a/c compressor are smaller. I don't have a/c anyways, but I do want to put the system from a '95 on so it should work with that.

Here's a shot of the Ford pump before I touched it:

Here's a pic with the air box removed for a view of the back:

Those of you with a keen eye might notice the van oil dipstick tube. It's pretty cool, I don't have to climb up or reach down to check the oil. If I didn't break mine I don't know if I would have used it, but I like it.

Here's a shot of the pump and bracket removed:

Here we have both pumps and brackets side by side for comparison:

The hoses are different. The van hose has no spot for the pressure switch that is on the 6 cylinders, but I don't think it is needed anyways. This pump doesn't work the same way the Ford one does. It doesn't drag the motor down when you hit the stop, and the switch is to increase the idle when that happens so the engine doesn't stall. I think I could have modified the Ford hose to fit the GM pump, but I don't feel like it.

Here's the GM pump on:

As you might be able to tell, I started getting rained on here.

Here's a shot with the hoses hooked up. Almost looks like it was made to be there. Well is almost was. I had to tweak the pressure line at the box to make it easier to hook up.

A shot back together:

And from the front:

I didn't drive it yet, because I don't have to work today. Sitting in the driveway there is no pump noise and the steering seems easier. Now I can really tell the junkyard alternator is making way too much noise. That will be next.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 PM
We'd do it

Here's a shot of my brand new belt, which prompted me to change the pump:

And a shot at the alternator. This is where the belt keeps jumping at and there is no way it should wrapping the pulley this much:

Without the smog pump it wraps the pulley pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
dkenny9 (05-09-2014)
Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

chewing the belt is an indication either the idler pulley or another accessory has a wobbly pulley like a bearing is shot...

have you spun them all and checked for slop?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's pretty cool! Is there a similar solution for putting that pump on 5.0L?

BTW, my pump was CrAzY loud until I put under drive pulleys on. Now that it's spinning slower at idle, it's quiet as a mouse! Go figure, slow it down and it shuts up!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

many Fords use the Saginaw pump...as do Chrysler...

its not a GM branding but Saginaw makes them as a vendor to GM and various companies...

I have also seen GM style alternators on heavy Ford equipment...

now they are famous for wind generators...lol
Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM
We'd do it

The power steering pump was seizing up, which was causing the belt jumping I think. When I spun it by hand it made a click click sound and had some resistance.

I don't know about the V8s. I know the van I got my motor from had this on it so I would check a V8 equipped E150 to see if it also has this pump. It might also be possible to bolt this pump to your bracket since the brackets are the same for mine.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What bowtie said, you are putting a saginaw on the truck not a gm.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
We'd do it

Call it what you want, that's a GM pump.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

I call it GM too... as Saginaw is a direct vendor to GM they make many GM components...like transmissions...

those went in everything too...Ford, GM and Chrysler as well...

And just like a Quadrojet (GM) carb on a Mustang....if it came from the factory its OK...

beings the pump came on a Ford...its fine to put on another Ford...

Last edited by dr_bowtie; 06-20-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
We'd do it

Don't everyone get their panties in a twist because I keep calling it a GM pump. There is a reason GM used them for so long, it works great. I drove the truck today and it's like a totally different truck. There is no more whine, almost no sound at all. I changed the alternator too and you can't even hear the truck idle. Steering is much easier and it doesn't lug the engine. Backing the trailer is easier. It takes so little effort to turn the wheel I didn't expect it and it surprised me the first drive.

I would highly recommend doing this swap.

Hackers- I'll bet this will add a few horsepower since the pump doesn't drag. Especially since yours is pretty shot, mine was too. Other than that you could swap in a manual steering gear box like others have.

Doc- You can tell people you're slowly turning the truck into a GM.

The main reason I did this was because it's different, and I like the GM style pump. But the benefits are also there. I never have had to buy a replacement GM pump, and the performance is excellent.

Quick Reply: F150 GM power steering pump upgrade