Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes

Well I think I finally did it right.

I used the test light method, as i dont have a volt meter nor a engine light.

I got 3 light blinks,

code 136, 334, 123.

If i remember the code 334 is the egr open to the max, how do i correct it?

As far as the other codes, 136, left HEGO is lean, and code, 123, is TPS above maximum.

I replaced the TPS a few weeks ago that is new. When i first join i wrote basically what the truck is doing/ acting like, I idles hi/lo hi/lo sometimes, the will "sometimes" die when you put it in park, or idle hi/lo then smooth out. And going down the inter state she will buck a little, I step on the go peddle it down sifts and it smooths out. When the RPM's go down its starts to buck again, not bad, just very irratationg on a long drive.

These issues do not happen all the time, Its like a woman, has attitude swings, for the last week or she the truck has been great, now today shes on the rag again... kinda stinks like gas/exaust whe idleing.

Thanks guys, If ya can send advice let me know

1987, F150 4x4, 5.0. Auto

Last edited by truckdriver_mn1984; 04-25-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you clear the codes after putting the new TPS in?

The lean O2 is probably due to the EGR issues. Can you visually see inside the EGR valve? There should be little holes around the bottom that you can see through. With the engine warm, give a tug on the throttle linkage to rev the motor - you should be able to see the EGR open as the rpm rises.

If it doesn't move - it's stuck. You can remove and try to clean it, or replace it with a new one. Might also check the EGR solenoid on the driver's side valve cover - should have vacuum going in, but not coming out at idle.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Yeah i did clear the codes, a mechanic said to just disconnect the battery when i did it.

I really cant see inside the EGR, Ill have better light to do it tomorrow. How much would i see it move it is very noticeable?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Those codes aren't correct. '87 only has 2 digit codes, and they will come out in order from lowest number to highest number. When it switches to continuous codes it will start with the lowest of the continuous ones and then the higher ones. So key on engine off you will get lowest to highest codes then continuous lowest to highest codes.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 AM

I must be doing something wrong... I ran it 3 different times, all 3 times i got the same codes if a different order. I even had the better half out there with me.

Starting out, i got the bank of 3 blinks then a 30 second or so pause, then the 3 codes...

Is there a site, or what not to where i can see a walkthrough
Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't know of any site. It is a bit confusing to get them straight sometimes. Not only does it flash the numbers in order from lowest to highest, it also flashes them twice. There is an odd flash at the start of the test, and a single flash between the first codes and the continuous codes. Code 136 doesn't even apply to your truck. Usually I can see the mistake in how the codes are written out by someone who misinterpreted them, but I can't tell from yours. Write them out as you see them, all flashes even if it looks like they are repeated and post them up again. Maybe we can figure them out from that.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 AM

Ok thanks for the help... Ill go out tomorrow and do it again, maybe take a video of it so ya can see..

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... guess I'm not much help! I didn't pay attention to the '87 part, and I didn't even double check your code definitions!

Quick Reply: Codes