Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch

I recently bought an 88 f150 and I believe it needs a new clutch kit. the pedal sticks about halfway down and you have to push pretty hard on it to get it to go into 1st and 2nd and reverse. does this sound like a clutch kit replacement?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Make sure the slave cylinder is working properly, has plenty of fluid, etc.

It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging, in addition to your comment that the pedal is what I understand to be only half travel, sounds like the linkage isn't doing its job. Check the easy stuff first before dropping the tranny for a clutch replacement.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry I wasn't more specific I was leaving work at the time and in a rush. I have to pull the pedal up to get it in it's original position. otherwise when I push it down it sticks about halfway back up. If I push it to the floor as far as possible it will go in and out of 1st 2nd and R no problem, otherwise those gear are hard to get into. I agree it does sound like the cable or something needs tightening but the guy I bought it from told me it needed a new clutch soon. I've only had the truck 5 days so I am still learning everything about it. but I'll check it out this afternoon and see what happens.

Quick Reply: clutch