Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

block heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default block heater

hey guys quick question. It is not too cold yet up here in Montana but it is getting into the teens at night. Just fixed my block heater and am wondering if it will do the engine any harm eg.. (cooking the oil) if I plug it in over night before it is below 0. Thanks

Nate
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Block heaters fascinate me. Which is odd because "Freezing" around here is 52F. When it does hit 32F, people around here drop to their sun-burned knees and pray to their "God of Global warming, AL GORE" (He didn't create the concept, he just owns the marketing rights) that if he lets them survive, they'll seriously reconsider trading in there S.U.V. for a hybrid! Anyway, all I know is Synthetic oil is considerably more stable at the molecular level when exposed to continual drastic thermal changes & continual exposure to high temps. However it's only weak point is film coating the metals in the top end which protects it during cold starts. This problem is more than satisfactorily addressed by running 20% "Synthetic Oil Stabilizer". I personally use & recommend "Lucas Brand".
I keep dreaming that Good ol' Al decides to do a photo op. w/ a Polar Bear someday (preferably one w/ cubs that skipped breakfast that morning). I would buy a hybrid to see that!

Last edited by ymeski56; 11-13-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM

it is still in the 50's during the day around here but soon it will much colder. Al Gore w/ a polar bear would be funny. What do you think about pluging in the block heater before it gets super cold?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Afaik; no, butI've read somewhere that the heater deteriorates if you run it too much.

I had an audi a couple of years ago which i had in a garage that kept it around 50 F and i always ran the heater overnight during winter, i had the car for about 5 years and at least it lasted that long Never boiled anything, it did show on the temp gauge though, but just a little, and this was a 5 cyl 1.9 litre engine so it probably has less to heat than your v8. I guess it also depends on how many watts the heater is, usually is 400 to 650 or something. I do the same to my current audi as well from time to time.

Why not get a timer? Run the heater at least 3 hrs before departure when it drops below 5, an hour if its under 30. Saves your car and saves you a couple of bucks i the electricity bill
Old 11-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Stryc9
Afaik; no, butI've read somewhere that the heater deteriorates if you run it too much.

I had an audi a couple of years ago which i had in a garage that kept it around 50 F and i always ran the heater overnight during winter, i had the car for about 5 years and at least it lasted that long Never boiled anything, it did show on the temp gauge though, but just a little, and this was a 5 cyl 1.9 litre engine so it probably has less to heat than your v8. I guess it also depends on how many watts the heater is, usually is 400 to 650 or something. I do the same to my current audi as well from time to time.

Why not get a timer? Run the heater at least 3 hrs before departure when it drops below 5, an hour if its under 30. Saves your car and saves you a couple of bucks i the electricity bill
How much more was it for the 6th cylinder? Not really an after market item was it? Anyway, anything that coverts electricity into heat tends to make meters spin. This gentleman could probably tell you how much it costs to operate it.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid to plug it in all night...those block heaters are designed to just keep the water at about 100 degrees. We plug semis and tractors in all night here on the farm and it just warms the block a little when you touch it. I do realize that's a much bigger motor with lots more oil but it's def not gonna hurt your oil as far as I'm concerned. It'll make it easier on your motor At zero, oils a lil warmer and that makes it easier for the oil pump to pickup.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:57 PM

thanks guys. Didn't think it would hurt anything but just wanted a second opinion. Increases the power bill $10 bucks, maybe. I will look into a timer. During the winter at night it will drop well below zero, and the truck doesn't get the garage.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kharkovnate
thanks guys. Didn't think it would hurt anything but just wanted a second opinion. Increases the power bill $10 bucks, maybe. I will look into a timer. During the winter at night it will drop well below zero, and the truck doesn't get the garage.
I have not really had any problem starting mine without the heater. It does take a little longer to heat up the inside though. My 250 is a different story though, it will not start on its own under -10 F and not at all under -30 F. If it gets that cold and I plan on using it I will leave it running all night.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:15 AM

My F150 never has any starting problems without the heater. But it saves the engine running it and also saves a **** load when it comes to fuel. Gas in sweden is like crazy expensive

Quick Reply: block heater