Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Belt Slipping Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt Slipping Off

I have a 93 with the 5.0 V8. I changed the belt the other day cause it was glazing a bit. I didn't adjust the tensioner, and it has good tension on it. The belt is coming off the pullies now (it's routed right also). I even put the belt I took off back on and it is doing it still. I don't understand why it's doing this all the sudden when I didn't adjust anything. There is a very slight wobble by the water pump, and I am going to replace that in the morning. Hopefully that fixes the problem, but please give me your input if you have had the same problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a pully but could be the tentioner it self ? have it run and see where it slips of exactly
Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 AM

It's not running in the same place the old belt ran on the water pump pulley, and it's coming off the one that is almost directly below the water pump.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not running in the same place the old belt ran on the water pump pulley

My response to you is, why isn't the belt in the same place? And why didn't you retension the adjuster? Do not tell me you didn't loosen it to remove or reinstall new belt.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM

I put the belt on right, but as soon as I start the truck it starts moving off. I didn't retension it, because it had the same tension as the old belt. Also I'm not stupid I used the tensioner tool and didn't loosen anything.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM

The first belt I put on started clicking, it had started to come off the bottom pulley. I went to Autozone and got another new belt (for free). The guy that works there made sure the belt was on the bottom pulleys right as I was putting it on. I even double checked to make sure it was right. I left there and drove for about 5 minutes and looked at it, and it was coming off again. I came home and put the old belt on thinkin maybe that was it, because it never did it before I changed the belt and that obviously didn't fix it.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dunno man thats def weird....Put one of the belts on and look at it from either side so your parallel with it and see how everything looks, if its all straight and lines up with all the other pullies and whatnot. I guess I'm not sure why bills asking you if you retensioned the belt....as far as I know those only have the one tensioner on the top in between the ac and water pump. Sounds like theres gotta be something that came out of alignment somewhere in there.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

the tensioner is bad....

while you are driving it is not holding the belt tight....

when the RPMs come up this loosens the belt and when you let off a little the tensioner isnt keeping up and the belt is staying loose longer than it should....

I went through this last year on my Chevy truck....all was fine and I decided to change the belt just to be safe....

all went fine until the next morning...as soon as the truck fired it threw the belt....I put it back on and I could drive all day no problem...next morning same deal...

I fixed it by using a inch shorter belt and a new tensioner....
Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM

I think I figured it out, and I am half way through tearing off the Water Pump. I think it's the Power Stearing pump...... I can move the pulley on there in and out about half an inch. I think something is messed up inside the pump. That's the only thing that moves. O well I am gonna replace the water pump and thermostat anyway since I bought the stuff already. Gotta figure out a way to get to the parts store now to get a power steering pump damnit.

I might event throw on a new tensioner.

Thanks for everything guys I will let you know if that fixes it.

Last edited by foxrider870; 09-23-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I didn't adjust the tensioner, and it has good tension on it.

I was implying that you were stupid and I appologize for that. I got the impression the belt was pried off and pried back on. Have seen to many Bozos change belts in that fashion.

Even tho I have lost all credibility with you, consider this, it might just save you some money. The end play in the PS pump might not be of a serious nature. Put the water pump on and give it a try first. My thinking is the PS pump with its end play will just self center itself. Good luck and again please accept my appology.

Quick Reply: Belt Slipping Off