Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

96 Blinking Overdrive Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 Blinking Overdrive Light

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, as well as this truck! This is my third F150. I buy them mainly to play with. It is a 1996 Extended Cab, 5.0 V8, E4OD Automoatic, Manual Shift 4x4. The check engine light is on, as well as the overdrive light on the shifter blinks. I took it to Murray's and they pulled the code as P0708-Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input. So, the guy tells me to replace the Park/Neutral Switch on the shift linkage. Did that, went to clear the code, and now it comes back as P0702-Transmission Control System Electrical.

The strangest symptom was after clearing it; The first start produced only the OD light blinking. Shut it down, restart it, and the Ck Eng Light comes back on. Any considerations? This is just a beater for me and I'm not looking to take it to the dealer or another hight priced shop.

The best part: I live in Lake County Ohio and we have emissions checking throught the ODB II system. If they try to check it, and the CE light is on, they fail it instantly. I need it to pass to get plates.

Any thoughts? Thanks to all who may help! Brian
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really new to Ford trucks...so take this for what its worth.

My '96 had a similar problem, you may want to consider checking the speed sensor in the rear axle. My OD light and check engine light went out once that was replaced. I had multiple codes though, and they weren't the same as yours. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 96 Blinking Overdrive Light