Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

94 5.0 cel, lack of power etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 5.0 cel, lack of power etc.

i recently got a 1994 f150 5.0 for my son. It's to eventually become his first car, and also a father/son project.

When we got it it was running rough...did a compression test and found 0 compression in cylinder 5. We then tore down the top end and discovered the intake valve was loose, so we took the heads to a machine shop and had a valve job done and magnafluxed. Once we got them back we put everything back together and it started, but had almost no power, and rough idle.

I've also gone through the entire vacuum system to confirm there were no cracks and that the coffee can is holding vacuum.

At this point we performed a koeo test and got 111, 10, 332, 157. I think the MAF code (157) was from tinkering and disconnecting the MAF at one point, i pulled off the EGR, checked the diaphram and sensor and everything was okay there. I also connected the EVR from my 70 Bronco (with a 93 5.0 HO) up to see if that made a difference. No apparent change there.

Cleared the codes this morning and warmed it up and tested again. KOEO test resulted in no codes...it was running smoothly but once warmed up the cel came on.

Then I proceeded on to the koer test, heres where things get interesting. First thing that i noticed is that the PCM reported this as a 6 cylinder (!?!!?) then i got the following codes:
6 (wrong PCM?)
10 (break)
116 ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.
172 HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side)
411 Cannot control rpm during KOER low RPM check

129 Insufficient MAF/MAP change during Dynamic Response Test. (operator error)
167 TPS did not exceed 25% rotation during the Dynamic Response Test. (operator error)
536 Brake On/Off circuit failure / switch not actuated during KOER test (operator error)
632 Overdrive cancel switch not changing state (E4OD) (operator error)

I believe the pertinent codes are 116, 172 and 411, along with the wrong engine code. The engine code is really bothering me...i'm about to go re-run the test to confirm that maybe it was just operator error.

I decided not to do the balance test because of the engine reporting to be a 6 cylinder and at the end of the koer test the engine was surging badly, nearly stalling, then idling okay, then back again.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty sure i'll need a new o2 sensor, but don't want to put on a new one until i work out some of the other problems so that i don't just burn up a new one.

A few more details about the truck: It's a 94 5.0 that's had a bottom end rebuild once. It's an automatic. It's got 203,000 miles on the odometer. It's starting to drive me crazy. Any help/pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it have the proper PCM installed? Maybe someone got one from a wrecking yard and it doesn't go to your truck.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 on proper PCM...I wouldn't troubleshoot any further until you confirm that is the correct PCM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:21 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't think it would run with a 6 cylinder computer. The injectors are individually fired on your MAF 5.0 while they're batch fired on the MAP 4.9. Three flashes indicate a 6 cylinder and 4 flashes indicate an 8 cylinder. If you did the engine running test correctly then I'd test the TPS and change the ECT since it's cheap.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It can also be from the wrong year or V8.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM

I've seen em kinda run with a 6 cylinder computer in em...I just pulled my driverside kickpanel off and my computer is HUG2...1995 F150 5.0 MAF
Old 07-31-2010, 04:07 PM

I haven't checked the pcm, i assumed it was right for the vehicle.

I wanted to let you guys know what i did find/remember today. I forgot when i picked up the truck the HEGO fuse blew on my way out of the neighborhood. I didn't think anything about it at the time, i was more pleased that i found the blown fuse and was able to drive it home. Fast forward, searching around i found a tsb on the hego pigtail chafing and blowing fuses among other things. It hasn't happend but the one time, but one of the wires is split.

i would put it all together rewrapped, but i broke the post off the starter removing the power cable. I'm sure it wont hurt to put in a new o2 sensor, the starter was making an awful noise intermittently (shims?)...so off to the parts store for a new starter and calling ford dealers to see if they have the 14b060 harness available for me to buy, if not, Rockauto has them for $83...then rerun koer test...
Old 07-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Ford starters don't require shims.....Ifyou want to check what computer you have pull your DS kickpanel off and shine a light up between the e-brake plate and the cab and you'll see your computer there...it should have a 4 digit sticker there (like my HUG2) along with a PN printed on the same sticker. it might be a good idea to take your VIN for it with you and see if the dealer can find any technical info on it for ya.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 AM

installed new starter solenoid (starter mounted, not the wheel well one), this cleared up the frequent grinding noise on start, however installed the solenoid upside down, so it cranks and cranks once the battery is connected(whoops), so i need to pull the starter and reverse the solenoid mounting. I thought that the slim wire was inboard on the old solenoid...this was $50 less than buying a remanufactured starter...

installed new O2 sensor.

doctored up the harness (shrink tubing over the splits in the wires).

About this time the wife was wanting to get out of the house and grab some dinner.

I'll pull the starter tomorrow, rearrange the solenoid, pull the iac solenoid, clean it up with throttle body cleaner then rerun the koeo and koer tests, hopefully the 6cylinder indicator and error codes will be gone...if not, pull the kick panel and ensure my pcm is the correct one for the truck.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:08 PM

replaced the solenoid i presumably fried with another one...and the other replacement does the same as the first, grinding noise intermittently...i can live with that.

It started and was still giving me choppy idle, no koeo codes after successful warmup. the koer tests looked better, they were reporting 8 cylinders again...but never successfully ran all the way through.

i pulled the IAC solenoid and cleaned it, put it back, it still idled choppy, so i took the IAC from my 93HO motor and put it on, eureka, it runs fine, so i take it for a spin around the block. I accelerate and it just doesnt move like it should...and i get backfires through the intake.

Reran the koer test:

311: Thermactor air system inoperative (right side)
538: Insufficient RPM change during KOER dynamic response test/ Operator error (can't decide when to goose it)
536: Brake On/Off circuit failure / switch not actuated during KOER test (again, operator error)
632: Overdrive cancel switch not changing state (E4OD) (operator error once again, and the overdrive light doesn't come on when you hit the button anyhow)

So on the 311 code...i have all of my vacuum lines connected, and getting good vacuum, yellow on the diverter valve, pink on the bypass valve...there is a possibility that i mixed up the valve names there...pink is on top, yellow connected from underneath.

Time to do some more searches on the 311 code.

Quick Reply: 94 5.0 cel, lack of power etc.