Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

93 4x4 Engine Swap Blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 93 4x4 Engine Swap Blues

Howdy Folks, noob here.

I have had many cars/trucks over the years and wrenched on all of them myself, rebuilt several engines too, but mostly GM & Chrysler. Also I own a 93 5.0 Mustang, so I'm not new to Ford's but I don't have much experience with these older Ford trucks.

Anyway, I saved a 93 Regular Cab, 4x4, Flareside from the crusher the other day, while at the local salvage yard. I was there looking for some other parts and the truck caught my eye. I haven't seen many Flaresides around, and the truck isn't too bad, a little rust on the front fenders, but those can be replaced.

The owner of the salvage yard said it had a bad 5.0 in it. When I got the title I called the PO and he confirmed, his ex drove it while low on oil, after he told her not to until he could get some oil and put in it. The engine started making 'Bad noises', he didn't have money to fix it, so he called the salvage yard to come get it.

So I have been researching until my head is almost ready to explode, and trying to decide weather to rebuild the original 5.0, or try to find a used 5.0 or 5.8, and from what year?

I think I understand that the 5.0 can be converted to MAF which is a huge improvement. But the 5.8 can not be converted to MAF, because the factory never offered it. Am I correct on that one?

Also, the 94 and newer engines weather 5.0 or 5.8 had a better more efficient cam than the older engines, so should I look for an engine 94 and newer?

I have found a 89 5.0 with less than $100k locally for $300, or

A 94 5.8 out of an F250 with 101k for $600.

Would either of those options be good for me, or should I keep looking? There seems to be a decent supply of engines available locally, I just need some help to narrow down 5.0 or 5.8 and what years are best.

I realize any used engine will need a new timing chain, oil pump and gaskets at the very least.

Also, I'm not sure weather I will make this truck a full resto project, or just get it running and flip it. I haven't decided yet.

I think first, is to pull the bad engine, clean up the engine bay, and replace it with something that runs, while keeping costs fairly manageable. That way I can drive the truck and see what other items need fixed, replaced.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 248 Likes on 238 Posts

I would start by deciding what you want to do with the truck. Flipping it I would go 5.0, also if you are going to be using it a lot as just transportation stick with the 5.0 because you will get better mpg. If it's going to be used to haul stuff go with the 5.8L.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I don't think the truck is going to get used much, I just sold my old Dodge a couple months ago, because I changed jobs and I only drove it like 6 times in the last year.

But then I realized not having a truck, sucks.

I have done a little more research this morning, and I don't think I'm up for sticking a 5.8 in it. It seems I would have to get the computer out of the donor truck, firing orders are different, etc. Sounds Like a PITA, and not sure how much I would gain in the process.

I think staying with the 5.0 will be the thing to do. I want to keep it mostly stock and fairly straight forward.

I don't even think I will worry about the MAF conversion, I don't really plan on any high performance mods, maybe just a better exhaust, but that would be about it.

I would imagine it won't get driven more than 6000 miles in a year. Maybe tow a small trailer on occasion, but not regularly.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

I would also pull the engine first, see if it would be cheaper to just rebuild it
Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM

Yeah, I thought about pulling the engine and tearing it down to actually see what happened.

I think the truck has about 175k on it, I haven't put a battery in it yet and lit up the odometer. But there was an oil change sticker on the windshield that said next change due at 174k.

I'm not sure how much $$$ it would cost to rebuild, I found a complete engine kit with pistons and everything for $529.00.

I'm assuming machine shop fees would be at least that.

So if I had $1000 in a new engine, at least I would have a completely new engine. And if I decided to flip the truck I could advertise it that way.

With a used engine you really don't know what you are getting until you get it in there and fired up, unless you can hear it run ahead of time, and that rarely happens.

A little more searching and I have found a 5.0 out of a 93 truck with 112k for $450.

I'm still trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ebrobb
A little more searching and I have found a 5.0 out of a 93 truck with 112k for $450.
For ease of time and money, that may be a great option...assuming the seller can prove that it runs well and you're not buying another problem.

It might be a pretty low cost truck with that used motor. And, while that is out, you could always rebuild the original 5.0.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There's more these days in a rebuild than there used to be. Machining is 500
, you could probably do the assembly yourself but it needs to be balanced with aftermarket pistons, thats 500 plus the gaskets and you don't want old plugs in your brand new motor and you still haven't put it in yet there's a couple things to buy there, and and and.
Because of where you are with the truck, I'm thinking that your best bet might be to just get a decent used motor and stuff it in and then drive it around and see what you think.
If you fall in love with the truck and decide it should "have it done to it" then you can get the motor sitting on the floor rebuilt and start going crazy. And the used motor you just bought is still worth what you paid for it (or more) is it not ?
And if you decide to flip it, you don't have to start at 2500 plus the rest of the truck just to sell it. Let the buyer put a brand new rebuilt in himself if he's so inclined.
That would be my take on it anyway.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Originally Posted by clarkbre
For ease of time and money, that may be a great option...assuming the seller can prove that it runs well and you're not buying another problem.

It might be a pretty low cost truck with that used motor. And, while that is out, you could always rebuild the original 5.0.
Agree this is a good option.

The original may not even need a full rebuild, you won't know until you tear into it and find the problems.

You could always scrap the old engine as well and recoup some of the cost of the replacement.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I think Chris 1 pretty much nailed it. I bought the truck out of a salvage yard and have no idea what other things the truck needs. When I talked to the PO he said the trans was solid and the 4x4 worked good, but the tires are pretty much junk and the doors need some repairs inside with latches and window motors, etc.

I priced an engine rebuild kit and machine shop labor with me doing all of the teardown and re assembly, and I got a quote of $1300. Plus as mentioned I would still need tune up parts, plugs, wires, oil, filter, and who knows what sensors may need replaced.

I think a used engine is in my future for the time being, as it's less than 1/2 the price, and I can either scrap the original for a core, and possibly recoup $100-150 or so, or keep it and rebuild it at a later date.

That's what I'm thinking right now anyway.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Howdy again folks.

I have been doing more research, on this engine thing.

And I found a machine shop not far from my home, that I knew existed but I had never used any of their services in the past.

So I called them and got some prices for the machine work needed if I elect to rebuild the engine instead of getting a used one. The prices I was quoted were almost 1/2 of what the other shop quoted. Which is not surprising, as this fellow has his shop in a small building out behind his house, but the other place I got a quote from and have used in the past has a staff of several employees and they specialize in racing applications.

I think for a stock rebuild, this less expensive shop will be fine, in fact since the owner does the work right there at home he may spend more time than a bigger busier shop would.

Anyhow now I'm looking at $450 for a used engine, with over 100K and will still need gaskets, cleaned up and some paint applied, at the very least, and maybe I should throw a timing chain and oil pump at it before install so most likely around $550-600.

Or around $800-900 for a mostly stock rebuild, with the new prices I just got. That's a .030 over bore job and new pistons. The price includes machine work and parts, no cam, but it does include new lifters. I will do the disassembly/assembly myself. Hopefully I can reuse the stock roller cam, just install new lifters.

So what do you guys think? Around $550-600 for a used 100K engine, or $900ish for a rebuild?

If I would just do a re-ring the price is basically the same as the used engine. But I have rebuilt several engines in the past and every time I just tried a re-ring they always used oil. So I think it is worth it to do a bore and new pistons.

In any case, I think before purchasing a used engine, I will jerk mine out and put it on the engine stand a tear it apart.

Gotta go, the boss just walked in.

Quick Reply: 93 4x4 Engine Swap Blues