Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

88 F150 Wont Start. Driving me insane. Single click and electrical power loss.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 F150 Wont Start. Driving me insane. Single click and electrical power loss.

Hello and thx for the help. This is my first post on f150forum.com.

The 88 f150 truck with an inline 300 6 cylinder belongs to my girlfriend. Its in great shape (no rust, no dents, good paint). The gauges and radio dont work which I think is a ground problem, but until now it hasnt had any major issues.

She brought it home one night and said the solenoid was going bad. We went out in the morning and it was clicking once and not turning over when trying to start so we replaced it.

The new one was doing the same thing so i returned the old solenoid for another new one. Same thing. One single click.

Took off the starter, which tested bad so I replaced it as well. Same thing when trying to start it... one single click.

Took battery to be tested and it showed good but low charge even after hours on charger. Was still on warranty so they gave me a new one.
Still doing same thing. New battery, new starter, new solenoid. Still one single click when trying to start.

Now I start checking wires and find one wire from the solenoid is pretty much trashed. Looks fine from outside but under the insulation its melted in two spots. Looks like at some point it got really hot. So I cut out the bad spots (about 8 inches long together) and its still long enough to reach the solenoid. I put a new eyelet on it and put it on. Still just one click.

My wonderful girl noticed that after it does the one click the truck loses electrical power (its like you disconnected the battery). It stays this way until you actually do disconnect and reconnect the battery for a split second. Then all power is back (horn works, lights, ect.). The battery tests fine and is fully charged. If you try to start it it does it again, one click, no lights, no horn, ect untill you momentarily disconnect power and reconnect it.

I am at a loss. I think its a wiring problem or a relay but I dont know where or what to check. Need this truck running to get her to work, and she also needs it to haul items for her family business. Pls send some wisdom my way guys.

thx,
Clayton Mileto

Last edited by cmileto; 01-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM

The melted wires you found and fixed could have possibly been frying the solenoids. If your story is the actual sequence of events, then it's possible that all of the solenoids (including the last one you installed) were cooked.

Bypass the solenoid and see what happens. If that starts the truck, then you may have your solution. If not, I'm inclined to think it's a problem on the ignition side of the mix. Because of the age of the truck, a corroded (bad) ground strap might be the culprit.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM

tried jumping the solenoid and it didnt turn the starter at all, and again had the electrical power loss until I disco'd and reco'd the battery. wtf?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Powered by Ford

Sounds way too familiar. I am dealing with the same issues with my '88 300i. Check the relays on the drivers side of the engine. One is for the fuel pump and I can't remember what the other is for, but its exactly the same. I was told that if they go bad the truck won't turn over. I replaced mine because they were very corroded.

I've changed countless solenoids on mine, as wells as 2 starters, and a battery, and new cables. And I still can't track down my problem.

My radio mysteriously stopped working and a few weeks later my windshield wipers too. GL
Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have an ohm meter, check the resistance between the solenoid and the starter, also check the grounds, battery to body, battery to chassis and body to engine. let me know
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Check the battery cables, both ends, both positive and negative. The negative goes from the battery to the frame and then to the engine.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 AM

DixieDarkhorse, I will check those readings in the morning, ty.

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Absolutely check all grounds. Everything in the truck is isolated or shock mounted. Engine bolted to the frame through rubber motor mounts. Cab is bolted to the frame with rubber mounts. Different parts of the truck bolted together after primed and painted. These are all bridges that electricity has to cross. In electricity, we cross these bridges with bonding wires or ground straps. Look at your starter system as a road map. Start at the battery and go to the starter. Clean every terminal, not the outside but the contact area, make sure its electrically clean. Once at the starter the electricity has to make a return trip back to the battery. Do the cleaning and checking process again. Remember relays are bolted to fenders, firewalls or what ever. Everything needs to get back to the battery. Thinking outside electrical, this engine does turn over by hand, its not seized up is it?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Its a bad ground.. I have seen that exact symptom too many times. Put on a new ground cable and make sure where it connects to the block and body is CLEAN!!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM

A buddy lent me a nice craftsman meter, Ive used them before but am not familiar with the ohms stuff. What shopuld I set the meter on ohm's wise?

Also I tried jumping the solenoid again, still one click no electricity. Also tried running wire from positive battery terminal to the second post on the solenoid. I thought this should spin the starter but it doesnt. weird?

The ground strap from motor to firewall is in good shape, and the wires from battery to ground dont look corroded, though it is the original ford wires.

Quick Reply: 88 F150 Wont Start. Driving me insane. Single click and electrical power loss.