Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1996 F150 4.9 5 spd P1359/P0043/P0155/P1152/P1351

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 F150 4.9 5 spd P1359/P0043/P0155/P1152/P1351

If anyone can break this down to English, I would appreciate it. The truck stopped running 4 years ago in stages. First was good for 15 miles before it ran rough and eventually would only go about 1 mile. Got tired of throwing sensors and lame mechanics at it so I parked it at the farm.

Last summer, I decided since it wasn't rusty and it once ran well, I would fix it. After all was said and done, a distributor got it to run, but the idle is sloppy and occasionally it bogs down and then jumps to life. This summer I am focused on getting it right.

It has 211k miles and it appears the motor was replaced. I replaced the two o2 senors as the harness on one had cooked. (it was running wickedly rich to the point the cat was red after 2 miles) on the exhaust manifold (don't see any others), had the computer checked, new IAC, MAF, plugs, wires, distributor, replaced a few vacuum lines, and have been driving it though sometimes you have to stuff your foot into the floor when it decides to bog down.

Today after resetting the codes, I drove it and they popped back immediately with the following:

P1359, P0443, P0155, P1152, P1351

All the books talk about the o2 sensor after the cat. Well unless someone monkeyed the engine install, I see only two o2 on exhaust which are new. The P1359 code seems to indicate an erractic spark which seems to match my symptoms as the truck runs like it is on 5 cylinders and then will just perk back up and run well.

I have replaced a few vacuum lines that broke when I was checking them, but am looking for any clues to smooth out the little shudder in my idle and save this truck from returning to guarding the back 40.

Any clues appreciated.
Wud
Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Let me start by saying I don't know much about OBDII. Yes OBDII has a 3rd oxygen sensor after the cat, so you either missied it or someone took it off. It won't affect the way the truck runs but the check engine light will stay on. The 3rd oxygen sensor monitors the efficiency of the catalytic converter. With it glowing red that usually means it's plugged up. I believe ymeski says to remove the oxygen sensors and see how the truck runs because the exhaust will vent out of those holes since the cat is clogged. If it runs better then the cat is clogged. Otherwise I would say the truck is getting too much fuel or one or more injectors are stuck open. A fuel pressure test would help identify this.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
... Otherwise I would say the truck is getting too much fuel or one or more injectors are stuck open. A fuel pressure test would help identify this.
First, thanks for the reply. It appears that someone pulled the third o2 sensor which I guess would explain the codes talking about the "second bank" (P0155 Ox sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 2 Sensor 1) and (P1152 Lack of HO2S12 switch)?

Fuel pressure before the regulator was around 60 lbs.

I was advised earlier that the cat was probably cooked due to a highly rich mixture, so temporarily, there is a test pipe, but I will be damned if there is any fixture or harness for a third 02.

[Here goes the pages with the sensor codes I am using if anyone else needs them]

ObdII P0100 - P0849 http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...rary_obd2_eobd

Ford DTC - http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...0Fault%20Codes
Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM

you say that the motor was replaced? did you have that done or was it done by a previous owner (sorry if you already said that and i overlooked it). if this was done, could it be possibly that they upgraded engines, so say went from a 302 5.0L to a 351 5.8L? and if so wouldn't you have to change the wiring harness, ect. to get it to function properly. sorry if this is just a random thought that has no relation to this whatsoever but its the first thing that came to mind when you said motor replaced
Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

First bank and second bank is left or right side of the engine, so I guess it would be front and rear of an I6. I don't have OBDII but there should be an oxygen sensor for each exhaust manifold and one behind the cat. The one behind the cat gives some kind of "cat inefficient" code or something like that and keeps the check engine light on.

You need to see how fast fuel pressure drops off after the pump shuts off.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=...
You need to see how fast fuel pressure drops off after the pump shuts off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. Last time I checked, the FP did not fall off very much at all. The truck runs like crap and sometimes diesels when reved from an idle. Sometimes I am driving down the interstate and it just "snaps" into smooth. Otherwise I am detecting a slight miss. Just pulled plugs, rotor and the new distributor all looks okay though inside on the #6 terminal on dist cap it is cooked significantly than others. Going for a fresh install of the distributor just to be sure I am on the right marks and then I will check the fuel pressure again.

Quick Reply: 1996 F150 4.9 5 spd P1359/P0043/P0155/P1152/P1351