Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Stereo Wiring

Morning All. I know my alpine stereo is wired up wrong as it forgets everything when the key is off. I took a test light to the factory wiring and there is no solid 12V power going to the deck, even with the key off. When key is on, only thing i get for power is Illumination and Accessory. Could I run a fuse protected wire directly to the battery positive through the firewall, and to 12V Yellow on my cd deck? Or are there any other options? I hate looking for bad wiring on any vehicle as its nearly impossible to locate the break in the wiring. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM

If your ignition system still works, then there's always power coming in to your cab (at least into the key tumbler), you just have to find it. With the key in the off position, start with your fuse block. Using your light probe the available circuits for something live, ideally you'll find something unused and you'll be able to insert a fuse, tie in to it and call it done. If you tie into an existing live circuit that's being used for something else, it's probably fine. The draw for stereo memory is minimal.

However, if it's easier for you to run the wire through the firewall, then go for it. The downside to running an additional wire is that it's one more thing that can get caught up in/clutter the engine bay. Make sure you put a fuse really close to where it attaches to the power source. This isn't to protect the radio, it's to keep sparks out of your engine bay if the wire becomes exposed (protecting your radio is a pleasant side effect).
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You cold do that or run a power wire directly to the fuse box. It is rather tacky though. I usually only run a solid power to the battery when hooking up my amplifier, not the radio. Try the diagram below and see if your radio is connected like it. I have an '89 F150 and recently installed an aftermarket radio. It took me the longest time to get it connected right becasue FORD doesn't follow the Electrical Standard Color code. Prime example, ...my power ground is a RED wire and not BLACK. I can betch cha yours will be also. Mine pretty much followed the diagram below for the power connection. I only have front speakers so I only needed the positive and negatives to them. But note that the speaker negatives are BLACK/WHITE. Just make sure the proper negative goes to the proper positive. Mines sounds great. Hope this helps.

1995 Ford F150 Truck Car Radio Wiring Diagram
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Red or Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Good call with the live black wire thing. It was an unpleasant surprise when I discovered that on my own.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I just ran a wire into the fuse box, its working good now. I missed my clock lol
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Default 1995 Ford F150 Truck Car Radio Wiring Diagram

Not sure why, but my factory speaker wires sure didn't come out looking like the colors listed below. I haven't seen a black/white wire on the left side yet.

Why do I get the feeling that working on my truck will be like dealing with a British car from the '60's?
Old 11-12-2016, 12:57 PM

The color code on my radio diagram is almost half right and don't have constant or accessory thats the color it says on here or the two front speakers
Old 11-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth P Stout Jr.
The color code on my radio diagram is almost half right and don't have constant or accessory thats the color it says on here or the two front speakers
Are you having trouble with wiring your radio?

Quick Reply: 1995 Stereo Wiring