Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1994 F150 5.0L 302 Hard start? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 1994 F150 5.0L 302 Hard start? Help!

I have '94 F150 5.0L that has trouble starting. It starts every time however takes 5-10seconds. When it warms up sometimes* it does start right up. Things I have done. I have changed/replaced the EGR valve, the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, Fuel Filter, I have cleaned the Idle control valve and the throttle body. Just gave it a tune up new plugs and wires, cap and rotor all new. Checked fuses and relays all good. Ran for codes and got the following: 626 - Coast Clutch Sol. CKT Malfunction self test, 172 - H025 System Lean Bank 1, 211 - Profile Ignition Sensor CKT Malfunction. Did have 332 - EGR Flow Insufficient but have already replaced that and truck did noticeably run a lot smoother but did not however effect the hard starting.

Other info, if I floor the peddle when trying to start it causes the truck to start sooner. If I rev the engine up fairly high and let off it will cause it to sometimes die. Runs smooth while traveling. When it sets and idles however it does not idle constant as it pulses up and down from low idle to medium idle.

I was told the previous owner has had the Catalytic Converters removed and there is an exhaust leak from the pipe to the Header. It is a double gas tank truck but the rear tank was not in it when I purchased the truck. Not sure if that could effect it or not.

Right now I'm looking at maybe a Pickup for my distributor? I checked the Coil and it has spark. Not to Mechanic savvy! Thanks any help appreciated!!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it could be a fuel issue, weak fuel pump (try cycling the key on-off a couple of times to prime the system and see if it starts faster) or maybe an iffy fuel pressure regulator? Same thing on both tanks? Couldn't hurt to replace your fuel filter if you haven't, it's amazing how often people neglect them (I've seen originals with 200k on them, no joke) and how much hell it can play with your engine. I'm just spitballing here as I'm no expert so hopefully someone with a little more experience chimes in.

edit- removing the cats shouldn't change how your engine runs other than reducing backpressure as a '94 only has an O2 sensor upstream, it doesn't take any readings post-cat like an OBDII computer.

Last edited by SteelHeart; 06-30-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:17 PM

Update:

I took your advice on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I checked it out looked like dog sh*t so I changed it w/o testing cause it looked like it needed changing regardless. It fired right up and ran smooth. Now the problem was intermittent i'll update again tomorrow to let you guys know if it was a solid fix. But, the rough idle is sure gone. Does run smoother down the road. Thanks for your input SteelHeart I didn't even think about the FPR.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Awesome! Glad to help. Be sure to let us know if it cleared it up completely.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:51 PM

Sorry for the late response I ended up changing out my starter and Fuel Pump the FPR helped a little but I think it ended up being the Starter. Even though it had tested good at O'reilly's I could hear it dragging so I changed it and it fixed the starting though I hear the new one dragging aswell I have no Idea why the new one would drag but it fixed the starting.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:47 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. It's strange that your new starter would drag, I have no idea why it would; anybody got a thought?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 PM

No idea lol. But, after fixed the hard start now I have stalling and no hard shifting issues lol Ordering a Motorcraft VSS to replace the new BWD one I put in as it only fixed the issue for a few days. Had to change out PSOM as well for a 55MPH needle waver crazy... I have a thread on my stalling still working on that one lol

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 5.0L 302 Hard start? Help!