Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Falls on it's face 5.0 '94 4x4 help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Falls on it's face 5.0 '94 4x4 help!

Help! Just fixed a hard starting issue on my truck and all at once was driving on the interstate after 30min just started "falling on it's face" loosing gas or something running really sluggish and nearly stalling out. When I drive it takes me literally a few minutes to get it going when I finally get the RPM's up past all the sputtering and stammering if I keep the RPM's up it will run. If I have to stop it's a 50/50 if it will go or sputter taking off again. It will sometimes be sputtering and all of a sudden get power and take off like nothings wrong.

Things I have done to the truck recently. Replaced EGR Valve, ECT sensor, Computer, VSS, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Battery(today), Plugs & Wires, Cap & Rotor, have had the fluids all changed as well.

I do not know if any of this will correlate to this issue or is a separate issue. But, after I replaced the VSS my hard shifts and funky PSOM started working untill I got up to 55 mph then is messed up passed that. I heared there is a recall on the PSOM and I need a PSOM 3 to fix that. Also, with this my O/D light just started flashing "OFF". Tried to reset codes by unhooking the battery no difference.
Going to O'reilly's to get some codes pulled they tried today but couldn't get it to work. Their is a guy that knows how that is working tomorrow I'll post them when I get them.
Any ideas? Sorry for long message just trying to give as much detail as possible! P.S. If you don't think the VSS is a culprit for stalling I'm posting it as separate thread so you don't have to dive into that on this one! Thanks in advanced!
*Update* Only vehicle or I would love to keep it parked until fixed I know it can't be healthy to drive it like this.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 PM

Okay I just learned how to pull the codes my self I jumper'd the EEC IV. I have received 3 codes they are as follows:

172 - (R,M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control

332 - (R,M) EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

639 - (R,M) Transmission Speed sensor (TSS) circuit fault - Transmissions

The O2 sensor has been bad sense I have owned the truck where it is attached on the exhaust it's broken clean off never has been attached I wouldn't think that it is the stalling issue thought I could be wrong I know it can cause problems but it has always since i've owned the vehicle been that way and thrown a code.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you replaced the EGR and are still getting a code then that would suggest to me you have a vacuum leak, probably to the solenoid or the EGR itself. Probably a good time to replace all vacuum lines - many threads on the topic. Can make a world of difference.

You can pick up an O2 sensor for $25 at amazon. You can also pick up an ODB1 code reader like the Innova 3145 for about $25-30 at most shops, or amazon.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:41 PM

I'll check out the Solenoid for leaks and replace lines. The O2 sensor where it mounts to the exhaust is completely broken off
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Changed out the solenoid and didn't help anything. I does rev up pretty high when I first start it up then all at once lose rev and nearly die after about 10 secs. Then it runs fine for a little bit. Also when I'm driving and it starts to stall on me if I floor it, it will jump up and go all at once sometimes. I didn't find any vacuum leaks doesn't mean there isn't any I don't know where all to look tbh I checked the EGR lines didn't see anything out of norm to my knowledge.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:16 PM

Hmmm. Might be time to test the TPS.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher1990
I'll check out the Solenoid for leaks and replace lines. The O2 sensor where it mounts to the exhaust is completely broken off
There's your problem maybe
Old 07-12-2016, 05:37 AM

Going to check the TPS tomorrow if I get time. The O2 sensor I have to wait after I get it in the muffler shop for that as it's broken off the pipe. Another thing is when I start it revs high then drops all of a sudden and the CEL flashes 4 times. I read somewhere that has something to do with the O2 sensor and the Alternator. Strange enough the guys fix was the Alternator not supplying enough charge to the battery causing all kinds of problems. I have a new battery i'll do Alternator test tomorrow as well. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Is there enough of the sensor left to get a wrench on it? I think its 7/8"... Might be able to get that sucker out and replace it.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM

I don't know how to test a tps i'm just going to replace it. Looks like crap either way truck has 279k miles on it 20k on engine but old components on it. I tested the Alternator idk what it is I was looking at really but here are the readings. While truck off battery Volts where at 12.6, while started it was 14.5 before it's self revving and dropping. When it revv'd then dropped it fluctuated with the idle from 13.1 to 13.7. What does this mean for my alternator maybe bad regulator or is it okay and the idle problem messing with my Alternator volts?

Quick Reply: Falls on it's face 5.0 '94 4x4 help!