Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1993 F-150 Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1993 F-150 Power Steering Pump

Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a 1993 Ford F-150 5.0 L, and it runs fine with the exception of a very leaky power steering pump (Or gearbox, I'm not sure). My question is...how long would it take to replace the pump (if the pump is the issue) or the gearbox (if the gearbox is the issue)? I've been filling the power steering reservoir with ATF for awhile now.

Another thing...I am a newbie outside of replacing brake shoes, doing oil and oil filter changes, etc. Can a newbie like me do the job accurately without messing anything else up?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

DuctTape
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

First before you start ripping things apart, try and narrow down the problem first. Wipe down as much of the fluid as possible and try and locate the leak by only adding small quantities of fluid at a time, may be as simple as a steering hose which takes about 15 min to change if its not too rusty.

If its the pump, 45min - 1h to replace based on you're experience, take off the belt, loosen the hoses ( and if their steel, DON'T BEND THEM!!), then the bolts on the engine. Do this in reverse to reinstall it.

If its a steering box, you may be able to get a rebuild kit for a bout 12$-20$ if you're handy enough, that or its a bout a 270$ part, but core exchanges for them pay back pretty good. Estimate time time on that may take you 1h 30min approx if it isn't too rusty. Unbolt and slide off steering column, loosen hoses, the pitman arm if you're lucky to get it loose and the bolts that hold the steering box. Do the same in reverse to re-install
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You need a special pulley removal/installation tool for the pump pulley.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies @ Sylver91 and Sean!

@Sylver91, When you say "part", do you mean taking the gearbox apart and replacing individual gears/bushings/fittings, or do you mean replacing the whole thing? How much would replacing the whole gear box cost?

@Sean, How much would one of those cost, or how much would it be to have someone put the belt back on?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really appreciate this a whole lot, as I am a newbie and need all the info I can get.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The pulley. The tool was under $20 I think but some places will rent it for free with a deposit.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
The pulley. The tool was under $20 I think but some places will rent it for free with a deposit.
Autozone and advanced auto parts bot have them. You go in and give them the cost of the tool as a deposit. Return it and they give you back all your money.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 PM

Thank you very much everyone! I really appreciate the help. How much does an entire gearbox replacement part cost () on average (if I bring them my old one)?

Thanks a million! You guys are awesome!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

if your leaking that much fluid i'm betting it is the main o-ring on the housing. an o-ring kit cost like 6 bucks and you remove the hoses off the pump. take off the big nut on the side((((be careful there is a spring in there))) that one of the hoses screws into. pull off the resevoir replace the o-ring. put it back together and put a new o-ring on the big nut. put it back in. JUST snug tight. connect hoses. fill jack up front of truck cycle steering a few times. check fluid level. lower truck start. then cycle steering a few more times. check fluid level.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Here are some pictures if it's current status...

Here's what the ground looks like about five minutes after the truck's been parked there: https://i.imgur.com/0pa7z.jpg

At the top of the photo, the round glistening thing at the top is what I think the gearbox is. It drips fluid about once every three of four seconds: https://i.imgur.com/whrt8.jpg

Here's a picture of the same thing: https://i.imgur.com/8yp6e.jpg

Hope these pictures help explain what I've been trying to say! Any comments you guys could make would be awesomely helpful!

Thanks a ton!

Last edited by DuctTape; 09-08-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Insufficient material...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Sorry to double post, but I forgot to mention that an annoying grinding noise comes from under the hood when I turn the wheel. I took a recording of it, and you can listen to it here: ( http://chirb.it/LxPP4f ) about 1/4 of the way into the audio clip, you should hear the annoying grinding I'm talking about.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by DuctTape; 09-08-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Typographical error...

Quick Reply: 1993 F-150 Power Steering Pump