Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1992 e4od trnsmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1992 e4od trnsmission slipping

hi there everyone, i am new to this forum but i am a long time member of a sister sit to this 1. explorerforum, and therangerstation.

anyways i am a guy who fixes alot of cars and trucks for people so i do know a little about cars and rtrucks. but i just changed a front and rear seal in a e4od. i dropped that big bugger out to do the work and all was well. i put it back in and got 1 click out of the torque converter which it looked like it was locked in. but it seems to slip now in drive, it works fine in second and first. the guy blew the seals hauling demo cars to the demolition. thenm drove it home.

my questions are as follows and any help or suggestions would be great:

1. how many clicks if any should i have gotten when i put the torque converter in?
2. could he have hurt the transmission by hauling in drive? he says it worked fine after he blew the seals but...
3.could it be the filter maybe it sucked up all the gunk when he was low on fluid?
i changed one line and when bending it i put a little bit of a bigger bend in it by mistake almost a buckle, could that have caused it?

anyways i do alot of ford transmissions but they r ll standards, so any help here guy will be great thank you.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It's not so much the clicks as much as if it went in all the way. I've put them straight in with no clicks before, it just happened to line up with the pump. What I like to do if I'm unsure if it went in is to measure from the transmission mounting flange on the engine to the back side of the flywheel. Then I measure from the torque converter to the transmission bellhousing. The torque converter goes in deeper than it needs to, so the transmission measurement should be more than the engine measurement.

I assume you mean hauling in overdrive? Hauling in overdrive isn't good, but if it was too much weight it would have kept itself out of overdrive mostly. If it did go into overdrive and it was a lot of weight it would have created a lot of excess heat.

You can try changing the filter but I doubt it will help. Unless you bent the line shut that didn't cause the problem.

None of this happened because of anything you did. The guy fried the tranny by driving it with the seals blown out. Sure he drove it home, but I bet that was a rough trip.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Question 1. Like what Sean said, would like to add this. The torque converter will go in farther then needed. Measure the depth of it as Sean said. When installing trans, and it is mated to the engine block, feel the studs that secure it to the flywheel. The torque converter must be loose, the studs will wiggle, meaning the converter is not binding. The studs being 3/8 will be loose in the 1/2 holes in the flywheel. Make sense? Am not a guru on transmissions, so don't know what gets messed up if the converter is crammed into the tranny, its just not good.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

When the converter is crammed into the tranny the transmission pump gets smashed.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 AM

Default i figured he probably fried the transmission

yeah like i told him you dont just keep toppping up the fluid and think that will solve the problem as the torque converter went in as far possible .

well i am going to try to adjust the converter this morning but i am going to give him some advise and tell him that he probably fried the transmission. tell him to stsrt looking for a new 1 . oh well thanks guys
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What adjusting are you talking about? The converter engages the tranny fully and it is pulled back to the flywheel upon tighteneing the four nuts securing the converter to flywheel. There is no adjustment. Its correct or its messed up.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Default lol k i guess i didnt word that properly

he asked me to unhook the torque converter and try to push it in further so i said i would try. but then i told him before i try that take it to another mechanic to get a assessment. after i read the replies here i phoned another shop here in town that i work with. ( they dont do engine jobs so they pay me to do all re and re 's same as trannies). and of course the same thing was said as you guy that he heated the tranny up. anyways thanks guys i am waiting now for him to get another transmission.

Quick Reply: 1992 e4od trnsmission slipping