Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Power steering fitting won't seal!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power steering fitting won't seal!

Hey guys, I just installed new pump and new LP and HP power steering lines onto my truck. They were Gates lines from Rockauto. Seem very high quality I really like them. But the LP line on the gear will not seal at all! The fluid pours out of the fitting around the line itself (not the threads). I've made it really tight. I also used gum to pull out any debris from the hole and you can see it's really clean. The line threads in really well and they both appear to be SAE double flares.

Any help appreciated! It pours all over the ground when I drive it right now.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure that's where it's leaking from? Just asking because I thought I had a leak from my lines but it was really spewing out of the pressure sensor.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:10 PM

Yes I am sure because I looked at it while it was running and there was a small fountain-like flow of liquid coming from around the line.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The mating surfaces of the line and box need cleaned. A burr or chunk of rust will cause it to not seal. Your pics show this.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:06 PM

They are not immaculately clean in the photos, but that's because I had just yanked it out again. I was worried about that so before I installed it the 3rd time I jammed some pre-chewed gum into the fitting hole to cling to any dirty or rust chunks before I installed the line, and I cleaned the line. I suppose I will try it again, and take pics before hand to make sure it's perfectly clean, and see how it goes.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think that there is also supposed to be a Teflon washer there too
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus-F150
I think that there is also supposed to be a Teflon washer there too
There is no washer on the high pressure line connection to the box - just swapped mine out a few weeks ago.

OP you may have just gotten a bunk hose.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFordsGuy
They are not immaculately clean in the photos, but that's because I had just yanked it out again. I was worried about that so before I installed it the 3rd time I jammed some pre-chewed gum into the fitting hole to cling to any dirty or rust chunks before I installed the line, and I cleaned the line. I suppose I will try it again, and take pics before hand to make sure it's perfectly clean, and see how it goes.
I think he means the mating surface where the body of the fitting presses against the outside surface surrounding the hole.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 PM

Finally! Got it too seal, what a pain. Thanks for the advice. I found a few damaged threads on the fitting near the top that may have caused it to feel like it was bottoming out before it was sealed. So I used a small file to clean them up and then extra cleaned the hole as shown in the pics. At first it still didn't seal, I had to then really tighten the dog snot out of it to make it seal which made me nervous but this time it worked. Shown in the pics. Still a little wet around the line, but not a disaster like before.

Quick Reply: Power steering fitting won't seal!