Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX catch can results

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by DignifiedDevin
Not for nothing but I think a lot of you are missing the reason for the catch can. It's not there to catch the oil and particulates from going into the engine. It's to stop that from building up on the intake side of the valves. And since it's direct injection, the fuel that usually passes by the intake valves and would do a secondary job of cleaning the valves, simply doesn't happen in the design of the 3.5L. This guy took a preventive approach at a minimal cost to potentially save his investment all you guys do is bash him for it. What happens if ford does a huge recall 3 years from now? The damage is done. It wouldn't be the first time, Ford came out years later and said, oh yeah we screwed up.
Oh, we totally understand the supposed reason for the catch cans. People have been saying since way before 2011 that it was gonna to be a big problem one day. Create the dragon, then sell a catch can to slay the dragon. The fact is that ford filed a couple of patents in the early 2000's to keep gdi valves clean. We also know the stock 2011's still haven't shown the same problems that the European gdi engines had.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 2,723 Likes on 2,058 Posts

If valve coking is such a big issue(IT ISN'T IN THE EB) then show us all the ones that have the issue(hint, you will be lucky to find one, and it will have been poorly maintained).

This is a gimmick, pure and simple and y'all fell for it. Everything that it catches is in every single internal combustion engine ever made. I can put one on my John Deere and it too will fill with water and oil. Water is a byproduct of combustion, water spits out the tail pipe from the cats, and water is removed from the crank case.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Flame Raptor
After a week of cold weather in Louisiana, my UPR large catch can was 90% full of mostly water. I am sure glad that did not go into my engine. Regardless of what some say about "ALL engines collect the same amount" needs to realize a turbo sucks a lot more air through the engine then a NA motor. In that air is humidity (especially in Louisiana). More air= more moisture. A NA motor does not benefit as much as a forced induction engine. If you look at most supercharger and turbo charger kits, you will find that most come with a catch can. May be a reason? To each is on. If you plan to keep the EB for less then 100k (like most people) then it probably doesn't pay to spend the money on one.
Why would you be glad that water vapor didn't go through your engine? It's harmless, especially in the quantities we're talking about.

I've purchased a few supercharger kits and none of them came with catch cans. And, a turbo engine doesn't suck more air than a NA engine of the same power level.

Quick Reply: RX catch can results