Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Thinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Holy craps... I have been doing 75-80 mph 90% of this tank. Did not believe the gas gauge so I stopped for gas. Wow.....

Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Very nice, so now you know you need to drive 75-80mph downtown. :P
The following users liked this post:
white89gt (08-05-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

White.....great numbers. 18.2.

Remember in the Thinking thread, when I came back from North Pole, that the return trip was 18.7 (I think) and I ran 70 or better all way. I had a pic of me at 80 with the rpms shown. I actually think these trucks get a better mpg the faster they go. The rpms may be a bit more, but the time vs miles is better, so maybe the fuel mileage is actually better when we go faster. I was that was with one of my 351C Torinos. At 70 I got much better fuel mpg's that at 50. Engine just was breathing better so it performed better.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Also factor in for mine that I'm slowly remedying issues that weren't taken care of by the previous owners. Some days I regret buying this truck (mainly when I had to replace the intake manifold) but most days I love driving it. If the PO had taken as good of care with the engine as they did with the suspension and interior this would have been a very nice truck. I'm working on getting it back to that point slowly.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM

This thing likes to get out and run, that's for sure. Since I travel on I-80 most of the way, I've thought about drifting behind a semi, lol. Plenty of those all the time on I-80.

Aragorn, luckily I bought mine from a guy that did a great job of maintaining it. It has the classic rust areas, but those are pretty unavoidable in my environment.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Originally Posted by white89gt
This thing likes to get out and run, that's for sure. Since I travel on I-80 most of the way, I've thought about drifting behind a semi, lol. Plenty of those all the time on I-80.

Aragorn, luckily I bought mine from a guy that did a great job of maintaining it. It has the classic rust areas, but those are pretty unavoidable in my environment.
Yeah, I knew I was going to have to work on it with the price (2500$) and some things just needed to be done. I'd probably not have bought it if I'd known about the leaky gas tank. Thankfully my mechanic installed it for half what the dealership wanted. The rest is just stuff that needs to be done over time. I still need to do the upper control arms but have been spending more time on the wife's stupid escape.

If I can get that bastard running again I'll work more on this truck. Running well but the stupid DPFE sensor is coding again and still haven't looked at the transmission sensor (only codes when it's above 85 F or so.)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 PM

{/QUOTE}If I can get that bastard running again I'll work more on this truck. Running well but the stupid DPFE sensor is coding again and still haven't looked at the transmission sensor (only codes when it's above 85 F or so.)[/QUOTE]

Aragon.....if the sensor is messing up at a certain temp, then it is mis-made or just plain faulty. Is yours the metal or plastic DPFE?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 5,777 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Right, DPFE differences as in programed voltage cipher via PCM parameters could cause issues for some. TOMCO had the very last of the metal DPFE part for early gen 10's for a time. Well before the metal DPFE's went obsolete and discontinued. I still run a metal DPFE today. Most likley one of the last still in operation lol.

Later through the gen 10 era a plethora of knockoff DPFE's were produced and sold 3rd party. Eventually weeded out with time. Today DPFE's produced have varying voltage margins that compensate for the difference between metal and plastic units. But who knows for sure, knockoffs could be still be circulation. Can't always get them all. So I guess may enlighten you enough to seek good quality parts from trusted suppliers. Uknow, since this sort of thing occurs with all OEM replacement parts on the market in general. I was just ate up enough at one time to figure out the DPFE dilemma way back when lol.

About the 85* Trans flip-out. Ford specc'ed and had produced the worst trans fluid formulation in history. This was the Mercon formulation. This was taken off the market mid gen 10 era. I doubt your running Mercon in that thing Aragorn, but if you are....your trans CAN cease to function when the weather gets a little hot. Thing about that is, absolutely nothing is wrong with the trans, it's just the fluid. It's not just MERCON, there's others still on the market that will heat right up on yuh as well. I've seen A LOT of people opt for big coolers in the past to control temps in their half tons. This isn't needed beyond the factory set up. The factory set-ups from Ford are flawless in all respects to these trucks and conditions they are rated for. These transmissions are pretty bullet proof under factory original power applications...you can't hurt them with THE RIGHT fluid fill. It's all about the fluid period.

The 4r70w's had a fluid maintenance regimen right out of the factory. The E4OD/4R100 did not....at first anyway. Just look at your owners manual.

Good fluid will go along way, perhaps the life of of your vehicle with a E4OD/4R100. Although I haven't done it awhile i was sending my tans fluid in for analysis periodically. For the last 10 years or so. Passed with flying colors ever time BUT! I also double flushed the trans myself back in 06, thoroughly - and topped it off with an Amsoil fill. I also installed a Transgo Tugger SK and fabbed my own custom shift plate (after unintentionally ruining my first plate from Transgo lol). I was pulling a car hauler back them and went for bullet proofing. I was at 185,000 miles at the time. I'm at 346,000 miles currently and haven't so much as added another drop to it or had an issue what so ever. IME, great transmissions, IF you spare no expense and use exemplary fluid in them.

Also THESE particular transmission gaskets, seals and whatnots internally were designed to handle the harshest synthetics way back in. Ford made a serious effort in this with their team down in Daytona. There was a slight delay in development and the 97's didn't receive the newly designed gaskets...not all of them anyway. The design and make-up material was deemed very advanced....sort of a break thru you might say. Not only did our transmissions get the newly designed gaskets, the engines were outfitted with them as well. This was a big deal and has proved to be one of the best improvements made across the board. The Ford documentation from the Daytona launch team was summarized @ TCCOA almost two decades ago....an exciting moment fro some. So yea, - Fords quit leaking after that lol.

Holey sheep shii, l I wroted a book!

Oh well, back to work, hope everyone is well. ( :
The following users liked this post:
AdrianP (08-06-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 04:41 AM

Looking at Red last night, I came to one conclusion. I need to put back in the rear axle blocks. That 2 inches seems to make these trucks look off from certain angles, but with the blocks back in seem better. At first I wanted the blocks out to level the truck, but after driving and such, I am going to reinstall them. I hate when I can't make up my mind about somethings. lol

Brew......a manuscript at the very least.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 AM

I think the DPFE he speaks of is on his Escape. That would have been plastic if so. I was under the impression that only the 3.0 V6 had DPFE though (Ford vs Mazda design). I thought you had a 2.3 like me, Aragorn?

I should have a little Toyota Yaris Monday night. Little being the operative word. I got the transport all booked last night. While the mpg's on the truck have been impressive, I can cut my fuel consumption in half with this little car. So, we'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario is I hate it and use it to get something else.

Quick Reply: Thinking