Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rancho RS9000XL Rear Shocks - Both Failed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Apples
Are these shocks that failed limiting your truck's suspension travel in any way? Are they being topped out (max extension) due to a suspension lift? I'm only curious.
No, they are not being maxed out from any extreme off roading or from suspension/larger rear block. Aside from occasionally running down logging roads, driving off road on frozen lakes and towing a snowmobile trailer, the truck is pretty much a street queen.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the replacements hold up better.
The following users liked this post:
Apples (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by uood8
Ive got the quick lifts in the front and also 9000's in the rear, they all have significant rust. They are only about 5 months old.
I inspected my fronts (QuickLIFTS) and they appear to be holding up OK. Living in the salty state of MN I expect and accept some rust but having a total failure after a year is dissapointing. Again, hoping the replacements hold up better. As others have said, performance wise I've been happy.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,077 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
I inspected my fronts (QuickLIFTS) and they appear to be holding up OK. Living in the salty state of MN I expect and accept some rust but having a total failure after a year is dissapointing. Again, hoping the replacements hold up better. As others have said, performance wise I've been happy.
This is good to hear. How many miles do you have on them? I really like the idea of a replacement strut assembly over a spacer level but don't want to have to revisit the struts after a year or two.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by gatorblue92
This is good to hear. How many miles do you have on them? I really like the idea of a replacement strut assembly over a spacer level but don't want to have to revisit the struts after a year or two.
I have ~20k on all 4 of them (replaced all at the same time). I haven't heard of any issues with the Quicklifts (or the 9000's for that matter) so hoping this isn't a common occurrence. Will keep the group updated as time goes on.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 PM

Wanted to provide one last quick update to close the loop on this thread. Tenneco warrantied my other rear shock and I installed it tonight. It wasn't leaking oil (the adjustment **** was stripped) but was still more corroded then I'd expect after only one year.

Tenneco/Rancho has been great and have stood by their lifetime warranty with pretty much no questions asked and is even paying for return shipping. I can't complain one bit about that.

I'm hopeful I won't be running into this issue again in a year from now. If I do, I most likely will look hard at the Icons.

Condition of the 2nd shock was better than the first as it wasn't leaking oil but still had a lot of corrosion.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

There is a trick of putting water proof grease or silicone grease under the switch valve to help keep corrosion at bay and prevent it from seizing up.

The following users liked this post:
Apples (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 885 Likes on 673 Posts

I had a leaking Ranchi shock within the first two weeks. They replaced it easily. Eventually switched to a lift kit, but the shocks still ended up with a fair amount of corrosion on them.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Undercover Brother
There is a trick of putting water proof grease or silicone grease under the switch valve to help keep corrosion at bay and prevent it from seizing up.

https://youtu.be/JJH2NeJ6bPg?t=2m29s
Thanks, UB! Wished I would've caught this before installing them but should still be doable. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have the same issues down the road.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
Thanks, UB! Wished I would've caught this before installing them but should still be doable. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have the same issues down the road.
I did this mod when I had my Wrangler and it worked great. Also, it is my understanding that Rancho will send you just the switch plate assembly if you should have one break rather than warranty a whole shock assembly for it.

I would also suggest Fluid Filming the shock bodies if you are wanting to get longer aesthetics from them.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Undercover Brother
I did this mod when I had my Wrangler and it worked great. Also, it is my understanding that Rancho will send you just the switch plate assembly if you should have one break rather than warranty a whole shock assembly for it.

I would also suggest Fluid Filming the shock bodies if you are wanting to get longer aesthetics from them.
Great info - Thanks again!