Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Dash trim kits. Anyone have any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dash trim kits. Anyone have any insight?

I kind of like them. I was thinking of maybe a carbon fiber dash trim kit. Do any of you guys have one? If so, how was the installation? Fit and finish?

I think it would refresh the look of the vehicle.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 821 Posts

If you're perfectionist a dash trim kit might not be for you. Many moons ago I tried a pre-cut non form fitted dash kit and it was a pain and I ended up just painting the pieces. These days there are so many paint options that it might be a better choice. Or wrapping the pieces yourself if you want a pattern. They do have form fitted kits, but my suggestion is read and watch some reviews because from what I've seen a lot of pieces won't go edge to edge and none of them actually wrap the piece.

I used 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl and did a few pieces:

I have some left over if you have something small you want to practice on I can mail you a piece.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 6,668 Likes on 4,761 Posts

^^^ Nice work.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miihere
If you're perfectionist a dash trim kit might not be for you. Many moons ago I tried a pre-cut non form fitted dash kit and it was a pain and I ended up just painting the pieces. These days there are so many paint options that it might be a better choice. Or wrapping the pieces yourself if you want a pattern. They do have form fitted kits, but my suggestion is read and watch some reviews because from what I've seen a lot of pieces won't go edge to edge and none of them actually wrap the piece.

I used 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl and did a few pieces:

I have some left over if you have something small you want to practice on I can mail you a piece.
Looks great. How does it apply? Peal and stick or like a shrink wrap type thing? Does it fit over a part like reupholstering a dining room chair? Like glue and tuck? Looks good on the doors!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 821 Posts

It comes as a rolled up flat sheet and it applies with 3M adhesive on the back, though it is still really thin. You apply it to flat surfaces with a squeegee which is a rubberized credit card and use it push it down and out any bubbles. When you get to bends, edges and other non flat surfaces you can use a blow dryer to heat it up and make it more flexible. It takes some patience if you have a really intricate part, the outside pillars took me maybe 30 minutes for all 4. A sharp exacto is important.

It won't adhere to fabric, but if your chair is wooden and sealed it most likely will stick, I've always used it on plastic parts or glass.

It's removable though may leave a slight residue around the edges, but that should come up with a wash and a little goo gone.

Quick Reply: Dash trim kits. Anyone have any insight?