Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

MLPS or neutral safety switch on 94 Ford F-150 4.9 E40D

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MLPS or neutral safety switch on 94 Ford F-150 4.9 E40D

Hi this is my first post so if I’m not doing it correctly please let me know. I have a 94 Ford F-150 2 wheel drive. I put a remanufactured E40D in it and while I was at it I replaced the neutral safety switch. It came with a new connector and I had to move the pins from the old connector. The truck starts but it acts like it doesn’t know what gear it’s in I am at my wits end I have put 6000 dollars in this truck and I can’t even get out of my driveway any help would be appreciated?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Did you align the marks on the switch housing with the center shaft hole markings while the truck is in neutral before bolting it down? They make a special tool for it but it's not needed so long as those marks are aligned.
The following users liked this post:
Bcrabtree (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Default Alignment mark

Thanks for responding so quickly. Yes I put the transmission in neutral then lined up the two fine lines and tightened down the two small bolts on the side but I’m not sure if the the wiring in the new mlp is right the new connector looks nothing like the old one and it came with no instructions. Wired it just like the old connector and the truck cranks but when I put it in gear it hardly moves I checked the fluid and it’s good I can’t find a diagram for the sensor I bought so I’m running out Of ideas
Old 05-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcrabtree
Thanks for responding so quickly. Yes I put the transmission in neutral then lined up the two fine lines and tightened down the two small bolts on the side but I’m not sure if the the wiring in the new mlp is right the new connector looks nothing like the old one and it came with no instructions. Wired it just like the old connector and the truck cranks but when I put it in gear it hardly moves I checked the fluid and it’s good I can’t find a diagram for the sensor I bought so I’m running out Of ideas
Wish I could help more, I've done that exact repair many times but that was over 15 years ago when I was working at Ford. The kit's we used had an instruction sheet included that told us where to place the wires.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM

Default Wrong wiring

The switch manufacturer sent me a wiring diagram and I had the wiring wrong she’s back up and running again thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: MLPS or neutral safety switch on 94 Ford F-150 4.9 E40D