Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

Instrument Cluster problem 1990 Lariat

Old 07-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Instrument Cluster problem 1990 Lariat

I have a 1990 F-150 Lariat. I'm having several issues with the instrument cluster to include the right side of the instrument cluster flickering and going dark and the oil pressure gauge not registering correctly.

About the light issue, if I tap the top of the dash above the area where the cluster is flickering and going dark, it will correct the problem momentarily and then depending how bumpy the road is, the issue returns.

About the issue with the oil pressure gauge not registering correctly and registering low. I had the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge and the oil pressure is where it's suppose to be. If I tap the dash above where the oil pressure gauge is located, I can see the gauge increase and register correctly.

The above problems occur about 50% of the time and 50% of the time everything functions correctly. I'm of the mindset that I perhaps have a loose connection or maybe a bad ground. In any case, this is driving me nuts and would like to correct these issues. My one other issue is, if I need to gain access to the instrument cluster, I'm at a loss how to do so.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read this and perhaps responding with any suggestions. Best regards to all.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but i recently had a similar issue with the bulbs flickering near the corners. What turned out to be the problem was the wiring harness going into the cluster was squished agaisnt the bulbs causing a loose connection. I simply moved the wiring harness to bend a different direction and then put the cluster back in and problem solved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster problem 1990 Lariat