Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

1993 F-150 battery wont stay charged

Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1993 F-150 battery wont stay charged

I'm new here but I'm a proud owner of a 1993 F-150 XLT, yes the truck is my avatar. To the point though, I have charged the battery,installed new alternator twice, fixed bad wires,replaced cables,cilanoid,tested everything ( unless I'm not doing it right) I tested continuity,voltage etc. I have tested continuity on the relays,and the places they fit into and still get continuity, I tested and replaced the grey alternator diode that sits in the left hand upper corner of the circuit block, the only thing I can think of is replacing the battery but unfortunately I have ran out of money for that. So is there anything else I can check??? I had read online to check the starter relay but I don't have the owners manual to locate where it is, then there is the fusable link that's located under the relay,is it under the circuit protection block??? If you have any info or illustrations can you send me fine then replacing the battery is the only option. So thank you for taking your time for reading this and any info is very valuable and greatly appreciated

Last edited by stan2015; 10-11-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Disconnect your dome light and clock, check for voltage at the fuses, any fuse with voltage is draining your battery, start pulling connectors on anything that relies on that fuse for protection,when the votage at the fuse goes away, you have narrowed down your draw.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Somthing is drawing power, is there an aftermarket stereo in the truck? a wire may be making a ground with metal. If thats the case and its a power wire it will constantly draw from the battery
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink well i found the problem.

Well my brother in law installed a different gauge cluster from a so called same year. But after spending $780.00 dollars I finally figured that out!! So thanks to y'all for the tips!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 F-150 battery wont stay charged