Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

Manual won't go in gear when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual won't go in gear when hot

I'm stumped! 1990 F150 4x4 with a 5 speed. When the truck warms up after driving, it won't go into gear. The shifter moves freely and it makes a noise like it won't mesh, but isn't really grinding. When the truck cools down, it will shift just fine. Tried replacing the shifter bushings but no luck. Any ideas?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default liquid engineering

Originally Posted by JohnR90
I'm stumped! 1990 F150 4x4 with a 5 speed. When the truck warms up after driving, it won't go into gear. The shifter moves freely and it makes a noise like it won't mesh, but isn't really grinding. When the truck cools down, it will shift just fine. Tried replacing the shifter bushings but no luck. Any ideas?
I have used a product called (XADO) it won't fix broke but will deffinantly fix worn I have used it in the whole drive train on many cars and trucks from brand new to worn out with very good results.repairs to factory like tolarances .nano technology at it's best .takes 600mi to 1000mi for complete but will see much improved after 60mi.runs much cooler under load with much improved operation. better power,less oil consumpsion and lower emmisions and gas consumpion. with over 40 years of working on cars and equipment I have never seen anything like this guaranteed to keep working for 100k. I liked it so well i use it in all of my cars and trucks and started selling it my self.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool liquid engineering at it's best.

I have used a product called (XADO) it won't fix broke but will deffinantly fix worn I have used it in the whole drive train on many cars and trucks from brand new to worn out with very good results.repairs to factory like tolarances .nano technology at it's best .takes 600mi to 1000mi for complete but will see much improved after 60mi.runs much cooler under load with much improved operation. better power,less oil consumpsion and lower emmisions and gas consumpion. with over 40 years of working on cars and equipment I have never seen anything like this guaranteed to keep working for 100k. I liked it so well i use it in all of my cars and trucks and started selling it my self.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

John, please check the lube level in your transmission.