Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

Crate engine recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate engine recommendations

Hey guys,

It's time to have a little fun! I have a 96 XLT 5.0L v8, and she's needing a little TLC. She's still in great shape overall, but at the end of this year, I want her totally restored, like she rolled off the showroom in 1996. I found a place nearby to help me restore it, but I could use some advice on the engine. She has about 200,000 on her now, and drives as strong as ever, but I want to give her a little more growl. Any suggestions? Folks have mentioned a swap for a smilier engine with less miles, others have mentioned the Lightning engines (which I loved back in the day), and lately, I've been looking at crate motors online. My budget is pretty flexible, and based on a few factors. Generally speaking, I wouldn't want to surpass $3500. But I'm a frugal man at heart, so if I found a sensible swap for under $1000, I'd be excited, as long as it solid, and gave me the punch I'm after. I see myself growing old with this truck, fellers. So, I want to do right by her.

So, again, my question is, what would you do? Swap? Crate? And which engine would give me the most bang for my buck…and be a relatively easy job. Thanks, and happy Fording!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

I would just stay with the motor you got refreshed as the trans also needs it to now.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was doing a total resto, I would rebuild the existing engine. You can do it using a good local machine shop and save a bunch of money. I bought a crate 4.6 for my truck five years ago. It was a Ford factory replacement but I could have done it myself had I had the time. Can't remember who did the rebuild. I'll look for the paperwork If you are interested.

Quick Reply: Crate engine recommendations