Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

A/C Issue here - Compressor turning but not getting cold..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Issue here - Compressor turning but not getting cold..

Okay so, in my 1993 F150 5.0, the air conditioning wasn't working when I got it from a family member. I noticed when I turned it to max AC, just hot air would blow. The compressor wasn't turning. It turned out there was no R134 in the system. I charged the system with EZ Freeze. The compressor now turns on and off with the AC switch. The problem is, it is still blowing hot air. I'm going to get a set of gauges tomorrow and see if I can measure some pressures. Let me know if you have any ideas or things I should look for. I didn't notice any of the hoses or pipes getting cold anywhere. At some point that unit was converted over from R12. I have one of the Hayes manuals and looked through their as much as I could. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,697 Posts

You should have evacuated it and checked for a leak. Most likely has air in it and moisture, if it has a leak.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 PM

I had pressed the pin in the Low side and nothing came out. I assumed it was empty. But I guess that doesn't check for moisture....
Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,697 Posts

It has to be vacuumed down to charge. In doing that, it pulls out moisture and air. You just cannot charge an empty system.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:04 AM

There are some good videos on youtube showing how to on F150 A/C. You need gauges, vacuum pump, refrigerant and patience. Watch the best video you find several times. Your system may have a leak so check that first or you will waste time and money.

Quick Reply: A/C Issue here - Compressor turning but not getting cold..