Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

Clutch Pedal Dropped Not returning to Original Position

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Dropped Not returning to Original Position

Hello,
I acquired a 1996 F150 4.9L 5spd 4x2 this past summer. To date, I've been really happy with it.

The other night I got into the truck and started it as I always do. But the clutch pedal only came back up 1/4 of the full travel once the engine was started.

The clutch seems to engage without slipping, but the throw on the pedal is now incredibly short, I'm depressing the pedal all the way to the floor, and I'm having some difficulty getting the truck into first (engine running, at a stop) and have to 'match the gates' to shift smoothly up and down. There is no play in the pedal assembly, I can't lift it back to it's original position. It also takes some delicate footwork to keep the clutch from grabbing and stalling the truck out.

I would normally think it's the slave cylinder, but I would expect play in the pedal assembly. The same is true if it was a pedal bushing or spring. In this case, it's like the pedal and the clutch actuation assembly slipped into a new position (2 inches from the floor) and adjusted to a very short and barely adequate throw.

I've gone through some of the other threads on the forum, but can't find anything specific to this sort of issue, to aid me in trouble shooting.

I've not had the vehicle long and am looking for some advice or suggestions on where to start looking. Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Is the fluid low?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 77Ranger460
Is the fluid low?
I'll double check. It looked OK. I would expect with a leak that the issue would progress over time. In this case, the clutch was fine when I shut the vehicle down then an hour later, when I restarted the vehicle, the pedal was at the floor. I should say it was at normal height, I depressed it to start the vehicle and it stayed at/near the floor.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Does 96 use the external slave or the donut shaped internal slave? Can you pump the pedal up? That would be air in the system.

Kind of sounds like something mechanical broke. A clevis pin or a bushing.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
Does 96 use the external slave or the donut shaped internal slave? Can you pump the pedal up? That would be air in the system.

Kind of sounds like something mechanical broke. A clevis pin or a bushing.
96 would be internal
Old 02-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
96 would be internal
That complicates things.

I've read about the self-adjusting pressure plates failing in dramatic fashion. Apparently they seem fine until they're not.

The odd thing here is that most clutch pedals have a spring that pulls the pedal up. The small springs in the master cylinder aren't strong enough to move the linkage. Might just be that the pedal spring broke. There might be pieces on the floor board. The pedal has to some all the way up for the master cylinder to reset its position.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:29 PM

That complicates things.

I've read about the self-adjusting pressure plates failing in dramatic fashion. Apparently they seem fine until they're not.

The odd thing here is that most clutch pedals have a spring that pulls the pedal up. The small springs in the master cylinder aren't strong enough to move the linkage. Might just be that the pedal spring broke. There might be pieces on the floor board. The pedal has to some all the way up for the master cylinder to reset its position.
I can't even lift the pedal back up to it's original position. I popped my foot under it, and she's stuck. There's no bits and pieces on the floor of the truck. Is there something above the pedal that may have dropped and is binding it?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM

Sounds like your master cylinder might be bound up for some reason. You might disconnect the master cylinder from the pedal and see what's stuck. There's a retainer clip on the end of a pin that connects the two. It's in the cab, probably obvious when you get a look (I haven't done one myself). Disconnect it and things will be more clear.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Sounds like your master cylinder might be bound up for some reason. You might disconnect the master cylinder from the pedal and see what's stuck. There's a retainer clip on the end of a pin that connects the two. It's in the cab, probably obvious when you get a look (I haven't done one myself). Disconnect it and things will be more clear.
I'll take a look. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 PM

The master cylinder was stuck. I haven't for the life of me figured out why or on what as there appears no significant wear on any other parts, But, it was in fact a stuck master cylinder. We're back up and running with full clutch operation.

Thanks!
Scott

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Dropped Not returning to Original Position