Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

94 rear brake drum wont come off-HELP

Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 rear brake drum wont come off-HELP

As stated, my brake drums on my 94 f150 refuse to yield. My Chilton says something about 3 retaining nuts, but there are no visible nuts, retaining clips or other things in the way.
I've only done drum brakes on a 2005 tundra, which had 3 spots for 1/4" bolts to turn in and force the drum off.
Please help me figure out what I'm missing here.
Thank you
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try backing off the adjustment on the shoes. You can also whack the drum a few times with a hammer in between the wheel studs
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Google up a diagram of the breaks so you know what you are working with. ( actually you manual should have a good photo. ). At the bottom of the assembly is an adjuster. Its a bolt in a sleeve that unscrews to push the shoes closer to the drum as they wear out. When the breaks get too old they cut a lip into the drum. That is all that is holding it. In the back of the backing plate is a small slot that you can then the adjuster with. Turn it in to let the shoes pull away from the drum. Smack the drum with a hammer to get the shoes to loosen. Then its just elbow grease. Odds are if they are that stuck you will need to replace the drum anyway. If it still won't work you can remove the slave cylinder from the backing plate by removing the line and the bolt that holds it. Then you should be able to pull the whole assembly apart. Last chance if its still stuck is to fabricate or buy a puller that hooks to the drum and pushes on the axle. This will likely break the shoes and springs inside so be prepared to rebuild everything but if its that bad you will want to anyway. BTW make sure the emergency brake is off first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 rear brake drum wont come off-HELP