Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

93 f150 e4od transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 93 f150 e4od transmission removal

i bought a mostly complete parts truck with an e4od and 302 for $300. the reason i bought the truck is because my trans and torque converter are dead. put the truck in reverse and all it did was smoke and grind. i know engines stalling in gear but not park or neutral is a sign the torque converter is done. someone has already taken the trans cross members off the parts truck so that saves me some time. what size sockets and wrenches will i need for the cross members on my truck, the bolts holding the trans to the engine, and anything else? i was told the cross members need 15mm wrench and socket, as well as an 18mm wrench and socket but i haven't gone out to my truck to confirm this. on the parts truck I'm just going to pull the engine and trans together because someone wants the engine. haven't started to work on either of the trucks yet because its been raining non-stop for five days. are there trans cooler lines i have to disconnect? is there more than the one mount at the back of the trans? I'm also planning on taking the t case from the parts truck and putting it in my truck since it shifts from 2wd to 4low very easily, but will there be issues since my speedometer is electric and the one on the parts truck(91) isn't electric? do i need any special tools to change out the torque converters? oh, I'm also thinking of replacing the oil pan gasket on my truck since the engine and trans are covered in oil. can the pan be removed without pulling the engine? can the rear main seal be replaced easily? i was told that's most likely the cause of the oil everywhere but I've also been told the pan gasket is the likely cause of the oil on the trans and engine. in case anyone was wondering, this is the first time swapping a trans in a truck for me
Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 93 f150 e4od transmission removal

No help?
Old 08-08-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That's a lot of questions. Your computer may not run that transmission. Motors swap around pretty good through the years, but electronic transmissions do not, for the most part.
Convertors may.
You have to lift the motor 3 to 4 inches and block it up to change the oil pan gasket.
Take more than 1 size of wrench with you when you crawl under the truck.
There is 1 rear transmission mount.
Undo the torque convertor to flex plate nuts before separating the motor and trans - there is an inspection plate at the bottom that has to come off - you will be able to undo them from there (rotate the motor).

Quick Reply: 93 f150 e4od transmission removal