Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

1993 cross member

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 cross member

I purchased my 93 f150 used and I am replacing the clutch slave cylinder. I have found that there was some kind of transmission work performed before as the cross member was cut off at the frame and is now run straight across from one side to the other to the lower part of the frame. It no longer as the curve going up to the top of the frame. Is this going to cause me problems and should I find a replacement like the original?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 93 as well and recently did the slave cylinder replacement too. It was pretty easy, but the hardest part is getting that cross member off because of the bolt locations. And my nuts were tight the whole way off and on almost like they were locknuts. I even cleaned and lubed them real good but they were still tight to get on. Mounting it under is probably much easier. Although that does put more weight on the low flange of the frame since the original cross member bolts to the top and bottom of the frame if I remember right. If it were my truck I would probably find the original cross member because I think just mounting to the bottom might weaken that area and be more likely to bend things when the drive train is under stress. Just remember, back then things were designed the way they were for a reason. On the other hand bottom mount would make pulling the tranny faster and easier... If you would like a picture of the original mount I can try and get on of mine next time I take it out.

Quick Reply: 1993 cross member