Topic Sponsor

Truck Not Starting

Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Not Starting

Ok, so Ive searched the forum and google like crazy and cant find a straight answer. I dont have a wiring diagram nor a chiltons manual for my truck. My f150 with the problem right now is a 1990 XLT Lariat with the 4.9L, 5spd manual, rwd only.

The truck started just fine a few days ago and then again yesterday and i drove it about 50 miles the other day no problems. I went out tonight to start it and the in cab lights, outside lights and idiot lights all came on, so i didnt think there were any problems. I dont have a volt meter right now but i will get one at work tomorrow and bring it home(the perks of working on electronics i guess). Anyways i turned my key to turn the truck on and what do you know, the idiot lights pretty much dimmed all the way off as im trying to start and the motor only turned like a half a turn then just didnt turn at all and it didnt do anything. No starter noise or anything, just completely dead, but my idiot lights brightened back up and the cab and head lights could be turned on.

Well i decide maybe i didnt push the clutch in good enough or something, tried again and it wouldnt start. So i opened the hood and looked at the battery, then cables. Then i saw something i never noticed when i bought the truck or when doing general maintainance under the hood in the past week or so in owning the truck. The negative battery cable was stripped of its insulation. The cable itself was still intact but had some major oxidization but not really any corrosion to worry about. This is up by the terminal itself and is about a half foot long till the insulation is intact again. Well then i look farther down and about a foot down, the cable is somewhat stripped again in random spots.

So heres my dilema. Is my car shorting out some how on the negative cable when i try to start it therefore draining the battery enough to not even turn it over? Like you cant even hear the starter click when i turn the key as said before. Its as if there is no battery/charge at all. Ill post pics tomorrow as its raining here tonight and i have to get to work in about 5 hours(gotta love working full time and being in college and then having car problems because that = no sleep).

If it is the cable, my next question is what length of cable do i need to order. On lmc truck they have anywhere from like 2 feet to 6 or 7 feet i think. I figure 4 feet is good but i dont want to waste the money if its not long enough or is too long. Anyways, pictures will be posted tomorrow and i will also try to start it again and let everyone know whats going on.

Luckily this isnt my main vehicle but i am working to get it very reliable for this upcoming winter. I will try to pull the cable and just measure it since i dont have to put it back in, but would like to see if anyone has replaced it before and knew what length it was. Anyways sorry for this block of a post, but i just like being thorough. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Here's the picture of the cable. Any info would be appreciated. It started fine today with a little hesitation at first but the battery is fully charged after running for a few minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Truck Not Starting-forumrunner_20121002_213855.jpg   Truck Not Starting-forumrunner_20121002_213904.jpg  

Last edited by 90_Straight6; 10-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

thats about right 4 a 22 year old truck....i would replace that asap!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks. I ordered a new cable as of today so it should be here by next week. Should this alleviate my starting problems? The starter is good as well as battery charge.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 PM

These trucks depend on grounds to run correctly. There are 3 or 4 body to engine grounds that need to be clean...Make sure all of your connections are as clean as possible.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM

If the cable doesn't fix the problem replace your voltage regulater . I was having similar problems with my truck and tracked it down to the regulator so just a idea for you . It only cost me about 15 bucks or so
Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Thank you both for the tips. I will check the regulator next as i have noticed without moving the cable or truck around one minute it will start just fine and the next it wont. or it wont start one morning and then later in the day ill come back out and it turns right over. Luckily this is just sitting until it starts snowing here or until i decide to put insurance on it as i have a daily driver(its just a two seater rwd sports car and it is horrible in ice and snow) so its not a huge rush. Either way the cable needs replaced but i am leaning towards what you're saying m83f150. Ill let you guys know when i get it replaced. Thanks once again.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Get it running and put a voltmeter on the battery terminals. it should be 13.8 to 14.8.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 90_Straight6
Here's the picture of the cable. Any info would be appreciated. It started fine today with a little hesitation at first but the battery is fully charged after running for a few minutes.
that looks exactly like the 87 i just bought,bad cable,bad terminal ends,and dirty posts on battery,i put a new cable,new terminals,cleaned posts on battery,no more problems now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Not Starting