Topic Sponsor

starter stays engaged 1989 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter stays engaged 1989 4x4

I repaired my key lock assembly and replaced the turn signal with the ten wire harness on my 1989 f150 lariat, when i turned the key on wipers, turn signals, etc worked but the starter would not engage. I jumpered across solenoid posts with a screw driver-i have done this several times and the truck started. i turned it off with the key. then i restarted but had to push the key hard at the end for it to start. i turned it off and then back on again and the starter stayed engaged so i had to take the battery terminal off to disengage the starter. i have taken the ignition harness apart to replace the ignition switch. just to check things out after taking it apart i touched the battery cable on the post and the starter started turning over, I am going to buy a new solenoid as I think i ruined it but are there any other thoughts in case a new solenoid does not work??
Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It sounds like the ignition switch on the column may be sticking in the 'start' position.
Check if the little push on wire is getting power when the starter sticks on - it gets power from the ign switch on the column.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:51 PM

Default starter stay engaged

chris
thanks for the response.
yep well i changed the ignitions switch as I had the same thought

I still had the same problem but the old ignition switch is something i should have changed out anyway as it was stiff.

I changed the solenoid and that was the problem. I guess I ruinged the solenoid by jumping across the posts with a screw driver too many times during this process.

I really appreciate your reply. I just got it running about an hour ago.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for replying back and telling us what fixed the problem.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:37 PM

Default starter stays engaged fixed I think

Originally Posted by Pwaho
Thanks for replying back and telling us what fixed the problem.
well i thought I had it fixed but did not but maybe now. the solenoid on the fender well was I think not grounded properly as I added more grounding---and I adjusted the ignition switch so that when the key was turned all the way to start that it made contact but just barely. I was playing around with the original ignition switch and noticed that it is spring loaded for the final position into start. so I moved the ignition switch a little further down the steering column such that I felt assured that the spring would move the actuator rod back from the "start" position which is the "s" post on the fender wall solenoid. so far this worked. i do not know if it was the ground for the solenoid or positioning of the ignition switch on the steering column but I am keep my fingers crossed. and dropping the steering column to access the ignition switch is a snap. can do it in about 10 minutes. 9/16 inch wrench for six bolets and then a 7/16" for the two nuts on the ignition switch.. separating the ignition switch from the harness connection is the biggest pain as kinda upside down on your head to get to it.. hard for us old guys you young guys can do it no problem.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:14 PM
91 F150 XLT 2WD 5.0 E40D

Just wanted to share what I already posted on a similar post, will update if I get it to work.

My 91 F150 302 auto has an intermittent starter staying engaged once I go to start it, it will stay engaged once the engine starts/runs, also stays engaged once I turn off the key (even pulling it out). So I would jump out of the truck, grab my hammer (only because it is in reach each time), open the hood and tap the fender mounted solenoid which in turn will immediately stop the starter from continuous cranking. I can usually go inside the truck and start it back up without it happening again. This happens every 2 or 3 times I go to start it. I've read some people say it's because of the bolts on the starter are not shimmed correctly, and others say the back of the solenoid on the inner fender is not grounded to the fender. I have yet to go out and try cleaning the back of the solenoid to fender for a better ground, but has anyone else had this issue? Yes, tapped the solenoid with hammer lightly stopped it and can drive on is only a temp fix for now.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Old Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem as described by OP. Tapping on my solenoid did temporarily fix the problem. I removed the solenoid and cleaned the back of it and the fender wall and had several successful start test attempts. If losing ground was the issue, this may have fixed it. Definitely worth a try.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:55 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If the OP still has this problem 6 years after posting about it, he might try that.

Quick Reply: starter stays engaged 1989 4x4