Topic Sponsor

Rear lights don't work when lights are on.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lights don't work when lights are on.

A couple weeks ago I found a flatbed on Craigslist. I put it on and wired the lights up. All was good. I got three way stop turn tail lights. The turn signals worked, and the brake lights work, when the headlights/running lights aren't on. When you turn the on, the tail lights work, the left turn signal works and the right turn signal stays solid. The brake light work on one side and turns off theblight completely on the other. On top of all that, when I turn my lights on, my trailer brakes don't work properly. The brake light wire is activating the brake controller. In ideas? Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

You've definitely got some crossed wires. You can go through testing each for power with each component separately to check for any power where it shouldn't be {i.e. power to the turn signal when tail lights are on}, do this with a multimeter or voltmeter as even though the light may not be on it could still be getting a small amount of power. Then you would have to trace the wiring looking for damaged sections that are cross conducting power.

What I would do, though, would be to just strip out the wiring and re-wire the entire setup. The way I look at it it's quicker to run the new wire than it would be to test and trace the wiring. That's just what I would do, the only down side to this plan of action would be if it happened to be an issue with the multi-function switch or a sticking relay, both of which could be checked prior to doing any work and probably isn't the case if you weren't having any issues before swapping in the flat bed.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I'd agree with fltdriver. It's probably an issue with your trailer wiring. Unhook it all and redo it correctly. That costs nothing.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 91 f150 and my brake lights dont work. I have replaced the fuse, checked the bulbs and replaced the brake light switch. Can anyone be of any assistance?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You should only hijack one thread at a time. Or start one of your own would be the way.

Quick Reply: Rear lights don't work when lights are on.