Topic Sponsor

Rats ate my wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rats ate my wiring

I recently bought an F150 cheap, or so I thought. The body is in good shape, but rats ate the wires off the fuel injectors. I've been Googling for an engine wiring harness for days. No luck! Apparently they're not made any more. Even junkyards don't have any. What can I do?

Anybody know what year models use the same wiring hardness? It's a 1988 automatic with a 302.

Are there any aftermarket sources?

I thought about rewiring the old harness, but I can't tell what kind of connectors to purchase for the injectors. The rats ate the wires all the way down to the connector bodies. There's no wire stub left to connect to.

Thank goodness I paid a junkyard price for the truck because it looks like that's where it's headed. Even if I find a harness it will likely cost more than the truck is worth. The farmer friend that sold it to me says it ran fine until he parked it in a shed and the critters chowed down on it. I had no idea a harness would be this hard to find. What a shame!

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Direct-replacement wiring harness sections have never been available (for most vehicles at any time), other than certain battery cable sections. It's almost always easier, cheaper, & quicker to repair a wiring harness than to replace it. If you can't, take it to any stereo shop - they should have no trouble, and it shouldn't cost any more than installing a radio. Get the wiring diagrams here:
http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html
An e-mail is required for access, but it doesn't have to be real or yours. When you see the WIRING DIAGRAMS button, click it.

That should be a common harness section in JYs - probably the same as all '85-91 5.0L and maybe some later years, and some 5.8Ls.

It's relatively simple to depin most Ford connectors, and insert replacement terminals with more wire stub to connect to the harness. But the replacement pigtail connector is WPT-372.

(phone app link)

Check local parts stores, dealerships, Amazon, eBay, BroncoGraveyard, TascaParts, FordPartsGiant...
Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 PM

Lots of great info in your response Steve. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

I'll take a closer look at the injector connectors. I didn't know they could be re-pinned. I assume the pins are crimped onto the wires and can't be re-used. Are new pins available? Maybe the old pins can be soldered onto new wires instead of crimping. I'll do some googling to see if I can find the procedure explained anywhere. One new WPT-32 connector costs $35? Wow!

I've done a fair amount of wiring with my job. But this looks like a huge task. I can't imagine a stereo shop doing it, especially at a price comparable to installing a radio!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:38 PM

Get used injector connectors at the JY for a few bucks (maybe still on the complete engine harness section), and splice them onto your cut wires. Or transfer their terminals into your connectors. Yes, you're only talking about splicing 16 wires, which is about the same as a typical radio install. If you bring your engine harness section to the stereo shop, it should only take them a few minutes to splice the wires.

Last edited by Steve83; 11-30-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM

I have found an F150 like mine in the junk yard. Its wiring harness is in good shape. There is one difference however. The JY truck has a manual transmission. Mine has automatic. So my question is, are the wiring harnesses the same?

I have shop manuals for my truck. I'm not an electrician, but so far I don't see a difference in wiring harness due to transmission type (still looking). Can anyone tell me for sure?

Also, is the EEC-IV computer the same for manual/auto transmission models?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 PM

It would be easier to tell you if your truck's details were in your signature. But generally: no harness difference for trans. Some auto trans require a different EEC - put ALL the truck's details in your signature.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27 AM

No sure what my signature is, but my truck is a 1988 F150 with 302 V8 and auto transmission.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on an 87. Picked up some injector pigtails on amazon,

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Rats ate my wiring