Topic Sponsor

Please recommend an alternator

Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please recommend an alternator

I've got an '87 F150 with the 4.9L straight six. I believe my alternator or voltage regulator is going bad because the dumb gauge in the dash shows a voltage drop in steps related to the speed of my blower fan, I have an intermittent battery warning light, and when I drove either more than 5 miles or with the lights on, it will intermittently miss and often die. The battery is getting charged however.

I've replaced corroded connectors on both my relays, and both leads off the negative battery cable. Verified the coil is good. Installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I'm left with thinking it is the alternator. But I'm afraid of buying a POS remanufactured unit from Advance. Can anyone recommend a source for a good one that won't cost more than the truck is worth (which isn't much).
Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Advance or AutoZone. They have lifetime warranties so you won't have to buy one again.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And you need that warranty with the crap parts Autozone sells...I went through no less than SEVEN of their starters on my Jeep. I got pretty quick at changing them in the parking lot.

I'd look at Oreilly's or RockAuto online...dunno about RA's return policy, but they carry a lot of the same brands as the major parts chains. Or even a junkyard as long as the unit tests OK.

Edit: I'd check out the blower motor/resistor pack before buying an alternator for it...sounds like something is going on there. Maybe a short/bad ground?

Last edited by Moose_God; 08-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:27 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Starters, yes I've gone through at least seven AutoZone starters. But my AutoZone alternator is still going strong while the junkyard one only lasted me a month.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My Autozone alternator (95 amp 3G) so far has lasted more than a year and my Napa starter over three years. I usually prefer Napa for electrical parts but the alternator died on a Sunday when the local Napa was closed. Pep Boys, Advance, and VIP also have some good parts.
YMMV
rikard
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can find a 3G at a local pick a part... Labor day is this weekend. You might be able to get one for under 20 bucks.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Well, bought a lifetime warranty alternator from AutoShack (pre-AutoZone name). Went through about 3 or 4 before I got one that lasted. True to their word - they replaced it at no charge every time, with no hassles. Would not go this route on parts that are hard and/or labor-intensive to change - such as clutch/pressure plates - but for the easy stuff, sure, why not if the price and warranty is right.

On the other hand, will swear by their DuraLast Gold batteries. Put one in a couple years back, and was seriously cheesed when it failed as I figured it would be the last battery the truck would ever need in its remaining lifetime. As it turns out, underestimated the truck's lifetime and overestimated my memory - as the battery was more than just a couple years old - as it turned out - 11 years old at failure. In my warped sense of faith, figuring positive thoughts yield positive results - I put another Gold in. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please recommend an alternator