Topic Sponsor

Oil gauge freaking out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil gauge freaking out!

So randomly my oil gauge will flip out and move around really spastically. It only happens when I have the clutch in, if I press the gas it stops instantly and goes back to where it normally is. Not sure if it would be a sensor or something else? Wasn't sure which area to put the thread in, sorry!! Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-24-2016, 12:04 AM

Also, all my other gauges are fine and my oil levels are fine as well!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

When it jumps what area of the gauge does it jump in? I'm guessing over clear to the left side on the low end. correct?
Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
When it jumps what area of the gauge does it jump in? I'm guessing over clear to the left side on the low end. correct?
it goes everywhere. Like spastically goes from high to low like a dog shaking a rat haha. I took a video of it doing it but I can't add a video on here. It jumps everywhere and sometimes goes so crazy it gets stuck to the far left above between the glass and the cluster.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:25 AM

You say it only does it when you have the clutch in. You say if you press the gas it stops instantly. What happens if you have the clutch in and press the gas at the same time?
Old 01-24-2016, 01:37 AM

You say it only does it when you have the clutch in. You say if you press the gas it stops instantly. What happens if you have the clutch in and press the gas at the same time?
it stops at its normal spot when I rev with the clutch in. What happens in the oil reservoir when you push the gas? Does it do anything different that idling doesn't do? I don't trust myself to do drum brakes alone so I'm taking it in soon after I do the discs. I'll bring it up to them when I do.
It does it when I'm in neutral too and just sitting. I'm not too worried about it yet. Wondering if it could be the beginning signs of an oil leak somewhere or something is up with the pressure.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:09 AM

What happens in the oil reservoir when you push the gas? What happens is the engine is running faster and therefore the oil pump is running faster and pumping more oil through the bearings, thus raising the oil pressure.

My assessment at this point is the oil pressure is dropping fairly low causing the gauge to jump like that. The most likely cause is the bearings are wore enough so they have extra clearance and therefore you have lower oil pressure.

You could try replacing the oil sender unit down by the oil filter and see what happens. I have a 1990 F-150 with a 302 and it does basically the same thing. If you take care of that engine, it will likely last a very long time yet. You could try a thicker oil when you change it next time and see if that helps.

That oil pressure gauge is just a sort of dummy gauge anyway. It goes somewhere in the normal range on the gauge if you have enough oil pressure and basically drops clear to the left when you have very low or no oil pressure. Yours is probably just borderline when it is idling causing your gauge to jump like that.

How many miles on the truck? Any more questions just ask.
The following users liked this post:
CaileighMoore (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:23 AM

What happens in the oil reservoir when you push the gas? What happens is the engine is running faster and therefore the oil pump is running faster and pumping more oil through the bearings, thus raising the oil pressure. My assessment at this point is the oil pressure is dropping fairly low causing the gauge to jump like that. The most likely cause is the bearings are wore enough so they have extra clearance and therefore you have lower oil pressure. You could try replacing the oil sender unit down by the oil filter and see what happens. I have a 1990 F-150 with a 302 and it does basically the same thing. If you take care of that engine, it will likely last a very long time yet. You could try a thicker oil when you change it next time and see if that helps. That oil pressure gauge is just a sort of dummy gauge anyway. It goes somewhere in the normal range on the gauge if you have enough oil pressure and basically drops clear to the left when you have very low or no oil pressure. Yours is probably just borderline when it is idling causing your gauge to jump like that. How many miles on the truck? Any more questions just ask.
It has 160k! I haven't had any issues with it yet, only had it for 4 months but it runs great. I got it from a one time owner who had all the paperwork and maintenance since he got it. This pressure gauge just started a few days ago. I replaced the sensor on my Jetta a few months ago so shouldn't be too difficult to figure out on this. Thanks for the help I appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 AM

Yes I would replace the sensor and see what happens. What you are experiencing seems to be somewhat common with the 302. Just don't let it run for any length of time with the gauge clear to the left. As I stated before if you take care of it, it will likely go a long time. Good luck with it.
The following users liked this post:
CaileighMoore (01-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Oil gauge freaking out!