Topic Sponsor

No start/No Speedometer/No Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start/No Speedometer/No Odometer

Hi, I have a 94' 5.0 and have had a problem with my truck not having a functioning speedo/odometer and I also have to start the truck by crossing the starter solenoidal. Occasionally when I put the key in the on postion, I will have a working speedo/odo and the truck will start right up. I have scanned the codes and ended up replacing my neutral safety switch which didn't change anything. I also replaced the VSS because it looked pretty nasty. My battery cables look rough but they show good voltage on the muti-meter, and I cant find any loose wires or blown fuses. If anyone has any advice or ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Reds
Hi, I have a 94' 5.0 and have had a problem with my truck not having a functioning speedo/odometer and I also have to start the truck by crossing the starter solenoidal. Occasionally when I put the key in the on postion, I will have a working speedo/odo and the truck will start right up. I have scanned the codes and ended up replacing my neutral safety switch which didn't change anything. I also replaced the VSS because it looked pretty nasty. My battery cables look rough but they show good voltage on the muti-meter, and I cant find any loose wires or blown fuses. If anyone has any advice or ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
All the other gauges work fine?
The following users liked this post:
Rusty Reds (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Yeah, all the other gauges work just fine.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM

And your odometer doesn't turn on at all or the numbers just don't change (not counting that occasional you mentioned)
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM

The odometer is just blank. except for when it decides to work
Old 04-18-2014, 01:39 PM

Sounds like a problem with your ignition switch maybe, not sure though since you say all the other gauges work fine.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 PM

I forgot to mention I replaced the tumbler.. I'll try and test the switch and let you know of my results. Thanks a lot for the posts, I am kind of just a dumb kid with an old truck and a tool box.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:59 PM

I forgot to mention I replaced the tumbler.. I'll try and test the switch and let you know of my results. Thanks a lot for the posts, I am kind of just a dumb kid with an old truck and a tool box.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Are there any other power issues other than what you posted? Lights, radio, anything?

Last edited by Forge-World-FORD; 04-18-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:56 PM

The lights and radio all work, the only other thing that doesnt work is the overdrive. I just replaced the ignition switch with no change.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 PM

The lights and radio all work, the only other thing that doesnt work is the overdrive. I just replaced the ignition switch with no change.
I'm gonna look at something on my truck in a bit and get back to you. I don't have a normal ignition switch anymore so I've got to look at the wires a little.
The following users liked this post:
Rusty Reds (04-18-2014)

Quick Reply: No start/No Speedometer/No Odometer