Topic Sponsor

No start, no crank

Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, no crank

Hello everyone, recently I took my 1994 f150 5.0 to AAMCO for a transmission service and they decided to tighten up my gear selector bolts. According to them, they accidently pinched a wire causing it to blow fuses and not start or crank. They fixed it and it was fine for about 2 days. This morning I came down and turned my key and the dash came on and the gauges moved, then when I tried to crank it, it made a popping sound and there was then no power. If anyone has any idea on where to start to look I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows what wires under the dash or near the bolts to tighten the shifter would cause that I would appreciate that too. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Depends which bolts you mean, but it's that shop's responsibility to fix it. Call them tomorrow and tell them to send either a wrecker or someone who can fix it permanently at your house. And tell them to loan you a vehicle, or pay the rental.

The bolts that most-often get loose are on top of the steering column; the column has to be lowered for access. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Depends which bolts you mean, but it's that shop's responsibility to fix it. Call them tomorrow and tell them to send either a wrecker or someone who can fix it permanently at your house. And tell them to loan you a vehicle, or pay the rental.

The bolts that most-often get loose are on top of the steering column; the column has to be lowered for access. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
They fixed the issue temporarily and I was told that this was something they were experiencing due to a bad connection at the battery. I replaced the battery cable and it solved nothing. I also made sure the battery is charged. I verified the popping I am hearing is coming from the solenoid. When I dont have the small connector between the 2 posts on the solenoid connected and I try to crank it, it simply does nothing although the dash lights remain lit. Once I connect it and try to crank it, the solenoid makes a popping noise and there is no power whatsoever until I pull a battery cable and reattach it.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanderson
They fixed the issue temporarily and I was told that this was something they were experiencing due to a bad connection at the battery. I replaced the battery cable and it solved nothing. I also made sure the battery is charged. I verified the popping I am hearing is coming from the solenoid. When I dont have the small connector between the 2 posts on the solenoid connected and I try to crank it, it simply does nothing although the dash lights remain lit. Once I connect it and try to crank it, the solenoid makes a popping noise and there is no power whatsoever until I pull a battery cable and reattach it.
Reading your last sentence, it sounds like you may need to clean the outsides of your battery posts and the insides of your battery cables, also make sure the cables tighten up properly when you attach them to the battery posts. I have experienced that scenario a few times.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 AM

I agree. Take the time to read all the captions in this photo album:

(phone app link)
Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
I agree. Take the time to read all the captions in this photo album:

(phone app link)
I've triple checked that the cables are tight and clean, as well as installed a new battery cable from the positive side to the new starter solenoid. With the starter relay cable atached to the solenoid, when I try to crank the vehicle it just pops and I lose all power until I pull the negative cable and re attach it. It seems as if Im blowing a fuse but there is none that are blown. With the starter relay/signal wire unplugged, when I attempt to crank the vehicle it just doesnt do anything but I still have power on the dash. I suspect there is a short in the starter signal wire but I dont know where to look.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:26 PM

A short causes wires to catch fire & melt. When a circuit just turns off, that's the opposite of a short - an "open". Did you read all those captions? "New" does not mean "good".
Old 04-25-2019, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kanderson
I've triple checked that the cables are tight and clean, as well as installed a new battery cable from the positive side to the new starter solenoid.
Okay You have a 94, so the cable coming off the positive battery post branches off two ways, one branch goes to the solenoid mounted on top of the starter as you mentioned. The other branch goes to the relay mounted on top of the fenderwell. You don't mention that other(second) branch. Did you get a factory cable with the two branches or what is the status of the cable running from the positive battery post to the relay on the fenderwell? You definitely got something there or nothing would operate.

Bear with Steve and me and we will get you up and running. Your problem is just some silly little thing.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
Okay You have a 94, so the cable coming off the positive battery post branches off two ways, one branch goes to the solenoid mounted on top of the starter as you mentioned. The other branch goes to the relay mounted on top of the fenderwell. You don't mention that other(second) branch. Did you get a factory cable with the two branches or what is the status of the cable running from the positive battery post to the relay on the fenderwell? You definitely got something there or nothing would operate.

Bear with Steve and me and we will get you up and running. Your problem is just some silly little thing.
Good news, got it figured out. I appreciate your guys' quick and knowledgeable responses but you were definitely right about it being some silly little thing. It ended up being a bad signal wire from the solenoid to the starter. Got some new wire and connectors and made a new one and it started right up. Just strange for it to suddenly stop working. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 AM

Your solution surprises me. I want to make sure I understand it. You replaced the wire that runs from the solenoid on the fender to the solenoid on top of the starter?

If that is correct, I can see why the starter wouldn't work but I don't understand why you would lose all power. Because you have a direct connection to all power accessories by the positive battery cable branch hooking to the terminal on the fender mounted solenoid and the other wires connected on that same terminal and running directly into the cab. It seemed like you had a poor connection or a cable shorting internally.

PS In my previous post I called the solenoid on the fenderwell a relay. I did this because I knew Steve83 gets too technical(sorry Steve) All that matters is that both people talking about something know what is mentioned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start, no crank