Topic Sponsor

No blinker/blower/wipers/radio while running

Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No blinker/blower/wipers/radio while running

90’ f150 302 standard
When I start up my truck in the cold I have several electric issues. If the engine is not running everything works. But after I start it The blower, wipers, blinker, or radio will not come on as well as my rear ABS light stays on the dash. Most of the time by the time I back down the driveway my radio and wipers will suddenly work as well as the ABS light turns off. As a drive to work about 15mins into the drive the heater will finally kick on and blinkers will start working.

ive dealt with this for the last two winters but it seems to be getting worse. I don’t understand the fact that everything works fine if I don’t start it. KOEO= everything works.

Any help please ease and thank you.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I would think the problem is with your ignition switch, or maybe the switch just needs adjusting, or possibly you just need to lubricate the linkage with WD40 or equivalent.

When your accessories don't work, have you tried pulling the top of your key back toward you slightly?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

May have a look at the ignition switch, located on top of the steering column about above the brake pedal - actuated by the rod that runs up to the key cylinder. Most of everything you mentioned gets power cut when the key is rolled to Start, wondering if the switch casing has failed or something where the power isn't restored when the key is released to Run.
Interesting challenge, good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks xlt88

I can’t believe it was that simple. The ignition is definitely busted but it works fine when i turn it back a little
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Good to hear that you've figured it out. Suggest not to wait too long to make repairs - things certainly won't get better, surprised here that things have remained as stable as they have.

On my ignition switch problem, the truck started dropping out intermittently, particularly when hitting a bump. The switch fell apart in pieces as I changed it out.

The switch isn't terribly expensive, IIRC less than $20. Suggest to lift the (-) battery cable when changing out to prevent any light shows. Also suggest to note where the current switch is, to get the new one anchored down in the exact same place so the key cylinder / switch coordination is maintained.

Thanks for the follow-up, always good to hear back upon confirmation of the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No blinker/blower/wipers/radio while running