Topic Sponsor

Need Misfire detection sensor wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Need Misfire detection sensor wiring diagram

I was troubleshooting my misfire detection sensor circuit, I had xode p0385. I used this write up to test it http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...p/t-88011.html

Everything was good until I got to measuring resistance if eec pin 59 to ees pins 51,55, and 6. I didnt have anything showing, not even 0, just ol which I guess is no resistance, And I had the voltage meter set on 200k ohms (200,000) ohms. So,where is my bad ground at? ANy wiring diagrams? Also note right where the wire connects to the sensor, both wires appeared to have been chewed on, or rubbed raw down to the actual wires. I wrapped each individual wire with a good layer of electrical tape, then wrapped the whole area. That was last week, but my code came back, even when last week I couldnt get the code to come on by revving the truck like it would before, but now I can again and the truck idles slightly rough, but not too bad and starts up warm or cold pretty easily, sometimes with a little stumble but pretty easy. I notice no difference with the truck idling with the sensor disconnected and connected, other then the cel comes immediately on, and i didn't rev it wit it disconnected, just let it idle about 30 seconds. My truck is a 96 5.8 4x4 ext. cab. Thanks for the help, Id like to have this done this weekend.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 PM

found a wiring diagram, question is, how come pin 55 isnt 12volts, and what does pin 51 have to do with anthing, why is it tested?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

I show p0385 as a crankshaft position sensor. "b" circuit. I would fix the wires the right way before any more trouble shooting it done. With out looking in to more of the code it could be a is or was code.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aktech
I show p0385 as a crankshaft position sensor. "b" circuit. I would fix the wires the right way before any more trouble shooting it done. With out looking in to more of the code it could be a is or was code.
Even if the wires themselves have good resistance, should I just cut away that part of wire and solder in new wire? And I saw it was b circuit, so if there is b, where is a? I erased the code, it's obdII btw, and it showed back up a few days ago, so I then started trouble shooting it, originally thinking the two wires were shorting each other out. Also today, I found this out. THe wires are wrapped in electrical tape, the a plastic tubing, the electrical tape, then aluminum foil, then bare wire, then electrical tape, then the two wires to the sensor. I didn't see that bare wire on a wiring diagram anywhere, but when I grounded the broken end to the negative battery post, thinking it was to help ground interference for the signal the computer was sending from stuff like the alternator, and spark plugs, it showed resistance. So I just grounded it to the frame, rapped the other wires in aluminum foil and electrical tape, and so far so good, but I've only driven it about 35 miles today. I didn't, however, recheck the resistance of pin 59 to 55, 51, and 6, I was in a hurry to get to work. Earlier it was showing open circuit though, and it was in the ground somewhere, and I saw that wire going nowhere and thought, well maybe its to keep out interference from the signial the sensor sends the computer. Know anything about this? ANd bare with me, I dont know very much about electrical, kinda new to electrical Im only 17, most anything else I can do though.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM

Well, code came back. I guess Ill have to recheck the ground to the pins to seeif it is good or not.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM

As per the leak you provided it looks like a short to ground or signal return.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM

As per the leak you provided it looks like a short to ground or signal return.
Yea but what ground? the one from the actual sensor is good, but what grounds are the other pins, both wires directly from the sensor are good, good resistance.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM

I think they are referring to is the wire it self grounding out on something. And I believe the computer provides the grounding when called for. Can you post a pic of this wire and repair?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:00 PM

I think they are referring to is the wire it self grounding out on something. And I believe the computer provides the grounding when called for. Can you post a pic of this wire and repair?
Yea I can post a pic. But You cant see what I did, it looks the same. What I did is solder the two main wires together, used liquid tape to seal it, then electrical tape around each wire then around both. Then aluminium foil around it and regrounding the one wire that goes around the foil. THen wrapped it all in electrical tape. Ill get the pic tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need Misfire detection sensor wiring diagram